News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal - Red Cross ? St. George ?

Igor,

It is a Serbian Medal, commemorating the capture of Kosovo in 1912, by Hans Schaefer a noted Viennese producer of commemorative medals. My suspicion is that it was given for donations to the Serbian wounded during the campaign, I can find no mention of the medal in Carr, so my suspicion is that it is a privately made piece with no official standing.

Paul

The obverse with St George is not easy to translate (I'm sure Radmillo can help) it reads St George be Serbia's....Reputation.....Justice and Truth

The Reverse is much easier and roughly translated reads Help Wounded Warriors/Honour the Liberator's of Kosovo

The reverse makes it clear that it is a charitable organisation, possibly a soldiers benevolence fund medal and was presumably given to those who donated a certain amount. Given that it was Austrian made (and that there was no great love lost between Serbia and Austria following the Annexation of Bosnia and Herzogovina) It is possible that it was a charity formed by Serbian citizens within the Austrian Empire.

Certainly very interesting.

Paul

It's a bit hard to translate but it goes something like this "Saint George be still for Serb example of defender of justice and truth" (Свети Ђорђе буди Србу и даље углед браниоца правде и истине).

About the medal itself, unfortunately I never managed to discover who made it and to whom it was awarded. It's obviously related to First Balkan War. Scene on the reverse is very similar to the one seen on the back side of Medal of the Red Cross. Maybe because of that I always suspected it had something to do with that organization.

Radmillo,

Thanks for the translation of the obverse that had me a bit stumped. I am surprised however that it is not mentioned, even in passing, by Car.

All the best,

Paul

The medal is mentioned by Leonard Forrer, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists Volume 8, Spink, 1930 p. 190, where it is described as 'Servian Victory Medal 1912'

Paul

Don't mention it Paul, I didn't know you can read Serbian.
    There's also nothing on the medal in Decorations of the people of Yugoslavia in 19th and in first half of the 20th century (until 1941) from the Collection of the Military Museum in Belgrade by Mila Piletić nor Decorations of Serbia, Montenegro, Yugoslavia and Republic of Srpska by Dušanka Maričić.

Certainly a possibility but in my opinion not likely. I think Austrian makers were still producing decorations for Kingdom of Serbia during Balkan wars. Take for example Karađorđe Star with Swords, it was first awarded during Balkan Wars and there are examples made by Scheid. Of course big question here is when were they ordered from the producer.