News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt - Order of Merit, Buttonhole Rosette?

paja

Paja,

That's an intriguing question. It's certainly possible that there are buttonhole rosettes for some Egyptian orders awarded to civilians. But I think it might just as likely be one of the many other orders which have red/white/black ribbons.... like the German Knights Cross or Iron Cross for example?

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris.
    I've done a little research and it turns out Egyptian orders were issued with buttonhole rosette (at least some of them). The main reason why I thought it could be Egyptian is because it belonged to Yugoslav diplomat who served there. Here's an example of 3rd class decoration with rosette (photo found on ebay).
    01.thumb.JPG.b0d0e838dbda666cd55fa70ff13

Paja, I agree that the button hole device is most probably the Egyptian Order of Merit. The Order was made by Bichay of Cairo and there are two types  - if the suspension hawk has two stars then it is a United Arab Republic version as opposed to being just Egypt. Regards, Owain