News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Time Errata

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

I know most have seen the errors or a list of some sort that shows the errata in the 1st Edition of Iron Time. I noticed on Previtera's site that he now has a list with some explanation to a few of these:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guest Rick Research

:beer: Excellent and admirable! So much that gets INTO print wrong never gets out, and is repeated forever, that it is simply great to see someone take the time and effort and CORRECT things this way.

I've always been a solid supporter of books (No Electricity Required) but you know, there might be something to this internet after all! :rolleyes:

It is amusing that the museum in Berlin still insists that "von der Schulenburg's bullet-holed Ritterkreuz" is the real thing. They obtained the von der Schulenburg group from a dealer in 1989. There have been several discussions on the WAF about this cross.

One thing I said at the time was this:

As for "von der Schulenburg's RK", it would be interesting to have a forensic test performed on the cross for traces of the recipient's blood and vital fluids. There were still be traces in the recesses of the cross. A throat wound bleeds and spews mucus and saliva profusely. One could also check the riband. It is interesting to note that we are expected to believe that whoever retrieved the RK from Schulenburg's body also collected the fragments of frame blown off the cross by the impact of the round. What did they do? Rummage about in the gaping hole?

I might add, the fact that the cross is a known fake aside, that I find it hard to believe that von der Schulenburg's unit would return such a grim memento to the family. I know of one case where a bloodsoaked soldbuch was sent back to the soldier's mother but as a general rule, no adjutant or clerk would have sent anything covered in blood or bearing the marks of a fatal wound back to a dead soldier's family. This is why, for example, so many KIA soldbucher coming out of families are duplicates.

An American collector friend - also a well-established author - received a file of expensively-shot photographs of the medals and badges around the time the cross was spotlighted as a fake. This would have been about three years ago. Being more into Imperial stuff, he showed me the file and I was able to explain to him why the cross could not have belonged to the late von der Schulenburg. I think I saved him a lot of money because he was angling to buy the group in, of course, a "discreet" deal.

I think the sale was attempted after the cross had been discussed on an internet forum and exposed as a fake. I have always wondered from which dealer they got the von der Schulenburg group...

PK

One thing I said at the time was this:

I might add, the fact that the cross is a known fake aside, that I find it hard to believe that von der Schulenburg's unit would return such a grim memento to the family. I know of one case where a bloodsoaked soldbuch was sent back to the soldier's mother but as a general rule, no adjutant or clerk would have sent anything covered in blood or bearing the marks of a fatal wound back to a dead soldier's family. This is why, for example, so many KIA soldbucher coming out of families are duplicates.

An American collector friend - also a well-established author - received a file of expensively-shot photographs of the medals and badges around the time the cross was spotlighted as a fake. This would have been about three years ago. Being more into Imperial stuff, he showed me the file................

PK

Prosper,

"C" should stick with collecting and buying things he knows -and- keep a good tractor mechanic around...... ;-)

I agree with you that units wouldn't normally send something home to family, that bore traces indicating how the relative died. I know of one very rare "c.f." from the early days of WWI. A German officer was wounded and taken to a field hospital. Somehow, his family was sent a tunic that didn't belong to him...it was senior NCO's with a thigh wound, with the foreward treatment stations wound tag along with the man's name, type of wound, and overall condition still attached to the tunic.

Speculation is that the officer was stripped of -his- tunic (a chest wound from the medical reports researched about 15 years ago) and was in shock while waiting to be treated, and may have been covered with another tunic to keep him warm. According to his file he died before he could be treated and his personal effects were sent back to the family, and the tunic, assumed to be his (without someone noticing it was a senior NCO's, not an officer's tunic) was sent to the family of the dead officer. Imagine getting the information that a family member died, and a bundled-up tunic with a bloody hole in it, someone else's name on it. That situation is a rare one, a real fluke, and a major departure from the norm.

Now, back to comments on Iron Time, and errors of fact?

Regards,

Les