News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

hello Lambert.

This document is an invitation to a "Zapfenstreich" ( impossible to translate but known as a tattoo) which is a typical German military ceremony involving mainly military music and which still take place today to honor prominent citizens who may not necessaryly be military personnel. Scheduled during the night because torches are featured to give it a festive/nocturnal aura.

I am sure a Google search will bring some results.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

I found a reference that da Fonseca attended the Kaiser Maneuvers in Germany in 1910, which I believe were in northern Germany near Stettin.

From a San Francisco newspaper article in 1910:

KAISER TO ENTERTAIN BRAZIL'S PRESIDENT

Marshal Fonseca to Be Guest at . • Naval Maneuvers BERLIN, July 30.~Emperor William «has invited Marshal Fonseca, president elect of Brazil, who is in Germany, to be "his guest at the German naval maneuvers off- Kiel at the end of August. The invitation: has been accepted. . After a two weeks' stay in Germany^ where Fonseca will be entertained by I various persons, he expects to go .to Paris, returning for the naval maneuvers. Following the maneuvers he will go to^England. . " " . ....

With the Army maneuvers in Stettin and the naval maneuvers in Kiel; a Zapfenstreich in Danzig...  It was a busy summer vacation.

da Fonseca would have been President-Elect in August 1910 - election in March, inauguration in Nov 1910.

Great document!

Edited by IrishGunner

Great !!

normal_Marechal_Hermes_da_Fonseca.jpg.05

I forgot to mention about the Marechal Hermes, was president of Brazil in 1910-1914.

Captain Hermes da Fonseca participated, next to the uncle, Marshal Deodoro da Fonseca, the movement of 15 November 1889 (Republic). Years later, Marshal, was elected and sworn in as the eighth President of the Republic. He also participated Brazilian Naval Revolts in 1893-1894

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_da_Fonseca

Cheers

Lambert

• 3 weeks later...