News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen - 57er

Hello all, 

Here a general assault badge in his 1957 apperance. 

It has a short needle and is worn. 

Can you date those 57er badges or is this impossible? 

What about the short needle - on google i just found long needles on this badge. 

Sorry for the bad pictures - just had my phone right now. 

If you want i can post better pics in a few hours when im home. 

The needle looks brown on those pictures - but its just worn off

Greetings

Stefan 

IMG_20160308_130536.jpg

IMG_20160308_130620.jpg

• 2 months later...
    • 2 years later...

It is what 57er collectors refer to as an early to mid piece, with a narrow C-Clasp and what I assume is a closed block hinge (solid piece, rather than a piece of flat medal that has been folded and attached). Looks like a nice, honest worn St&L piece

57er dating is tricky, as hardware stocks were used until depleted and usage overlapped. Generally, dating can roughly be determined by the following:

-Very Early---Lates 50s-Early 60s---narrow C-clasp, solid block hinge, and thin round pin (the most desirable and sought after pieces. The earliest of these badges still used some of the pins and clasps from wartime surplus hardware stocks)

-Early---Early/Mid 60s---narrow c-clasp, solid block hinge, narrow/tapering flat pin

-Mid---Mid-Late 60s---wide c-clasp, open block hinge, narrow/tapering flat pin (this is by far the era with the most overlap, and it's not uncommon to see mid-era produced badges with a hodge-podge combo of hardware typically seen on early and late badges listed here)

-Late---Late 60s/present---wide c-clasp, open block hinge, wide/tapering flat pin (these are the least desirable, as quality significantly begins to drop and these may have been made well after most recipients had retired from service. Firms continued to produce replacement awards for veterans and collectors for decades, and in fact St&L still offers Iron Crosses for sale)