News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My favorite author is Enrst J?nger. During my visit to Wilfingen once upon a time his museum was unfortunately closed. However recently the good folks there (Frau Monika Miller-Vollmer) sent me some great photos of his decorations, which prove PLM owners had more than one.

In the first photo with the award doc you can't really tell much, but the second it clearly looks like a Steinhauer and L?ck piece! Or am I mistaken? His Gold Wound badge is a cut out varient and his HHOX doesn't have a ribbon and unfortunately the glare hides the details.

None the less, Ernst J?nger.s Pour le Merite from the Ernst J?nger Haus in Wilfingen. Vielen Danke Frau Miller-Vollmer f?r die Fotos.

Dan Cole

...In the first photo with the award doc you can't really tell much, but the second it clearly looks like a Steinhauer and L?ck piece! Or am I mistaken?...Dan Cole

Dan

No you're not mistaken - this is indeed a '57 S&L PLM.... meaning he was nearly 60 when he or the museum purchased this duplicate.

The document I assume is the original?... so either his issue PLM and document have been somehow seperated over the years, or they don't display his original PLM and document at the museum. Maybe someone knows the story?

Either way, some great pics from a very colourful individual - thanks for posting!.

I presume you know of this site http://www.juenger.org/

Marshall

Dan

No you're not mistaken - this is indeed a '57 S&L PLM.... meaning he was nearly 60 when he or the museum purchased this duplicate.

The document I assume is the original?... so either his issue PLM and document have been somehow seperated over the years, or they don't display his original PLM and document at the museum. Maybe someone knows the story?

Either way, some great pics from a very colourful individual - thanks for posting!.

I presume you know of this site http://www.juenger.org/

Marshall

J?nger was living in France during the last few years of his life. On his 100th birthday, he was visited by many people (Mitterand among them). A reporter who interviewed him at the time, mentioned J?nger showing him his PlM that he kept in a box.

The "Urkunde" in the attached photo is the correct form for the document, although the signature and ink stamp aren't. Normally during WWI, the signature should be Wilhelm's, and the seal should be embossed on the paper. Kaunitz's signature and the ink stamp often appear on other documents (for example the HOH). Without a better photograph, I'm inclined to wonder if the document shown here is real and the museum was using "filler."

Les

Marshal,

Actually, von Kanitz (not Kaunitz) signed a number of wartime PLM documents in lieu of Wilhelm II, during 1918, including those of Heinrich Schmedes, Martin Otto, Daniel Gerth, Konrad Kraehe and obviously the brilliant Ernst Junger, to name but a few. The stamp represents the General Orders Commission of which General of Infantry v. Jacobi was chief with signatory credentials and General von Kanitz as representative with signatory powers. When Wilhelm II signed, his official stamp was applied, either as a blind emboss or stamp in ink, both were used. Sounds like a great museum when it is open!

Stephen

J?nger was living in France during the last few years of his life. On his 100th birthday, he was visited by many people (Mitterand among them). A reporter who interviewed him at the time, mentioned J?nger showing him his PlM that he kept in a box.

The "Urkunde" in the attached photo is the correct form for the document, although the signature and ink stamp aren't. Normally during WWI, the signature should be Wilhelm's, and the seal should be embossed on the paper. Kaunitz's signature and the ink stamp often appear on other documents (for example the HOH). Without a better photograph, I'm inclined to wonder if the document shown here is real and the museum was using "filler."

Les