News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone

I just thought I would show these two badges side by side.The tombak one came from Heinrich Niemeyer and the zinq one came from a man called Anton Kurpik.The zinz badge has the same pin type as the other, only the hook is made from flat wire and applied to badge with a flat disc,this cannot be seen to well from the photos

Best Regards Richard..

back view

This then matches exactly the badge the two types I posted below, the second having a differenct pin and hook setup.

There are some finishing differences in the first badge I posted to yours, like around the gunmount, assuming both example I have posted are also Juncker as are yours.

Very nice example you have Richard.

John

Edited by John Robinson

So I guess my question/comment is, are these then all Juncker badges as best we can tell?

Better close up of the obverse of my badge above.

John

Edited by John Robinson

Hello John

I hope I am right in what I say here goes.I think the fixings on zinq badges has to be slightly different to that of tombak because zinq is harder to attach pins and hooks too.So i would say they are probably all by the same maker.Maybe one day we will find out for sure what maker......

Best Regards Richard..

Hello John

I hope I am right in what I say here goes.I think the fixings on zinq badges has to be slightly different to that of tombak because zinq is harder to attach pins and hooks too.So i would say they are probably all by the same maker.Maybe one day we will find out for sure what maker......

Best Regards Richard..

I agree 100% on what you have said, no question that the attachment process was different like you said.

Your badges are very nice, and most interesting that they are attributed.

John

Hello John

I do like to buy attributed badges etc.I know you can't always believe every story.I am more interested in the history than the mintness if there is such a word..

Best Regards Richard..

PS the Niemeyer set came to me from Gordon. He commanded U547 and was a DKiG winner

Hello John

I do like to buy attributed badges etc.I know you can't always believe every story.I am more interested in the history than the mintness if there is such a word..

Best Regards Richard..

PS the Niemeyer set came to me from Gordon. He commanded U547 and was a DKiG winner

Yes, I feel exactly the same way. It is difficult from this side of the pond to find such items, and there is a trade-off between a beautifully made minty badge which exhibits all the detail of the original artist/engraver and a worn badge that just does not exhibit much at all. I think you have the best of both worlds with yours.

For example, E-boat badges. Many are clearly worn, but so damaged that I really do not like them. Others are so mint that they look like they came out of the box yesterday. Both are badges that appeal to the taste of the individual collector I think, so it is very very subjective.

For me, there is a line, which moves about sometimes, that means even with some sort of provenance, I do not want it because the badge is in such poor condition--like Gordon has told me, many of these U-boat men had 4 or 5 badges maybe, so there is some chance to get one like you did.

Well, the provenance is nice of course, but every badge has value naturally, even if it belonged to the unknown poor guy down there cooking for the crew who was always the end of a joke or complaint and who never got a medal for anything. However, without him, nobody would have been very happy, including the Captain.

John