News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

17th WSS GvB M43 Tunic-Family Member's WW2 Bring Back (After Restoration)

Hello

About two months ago, my second Cousin sent me some of her father's stuff that he brought back during the War.  (There are photos of him on here in the family photo section.)Inside one package was a a Obershutze GvB tunic that.  Family story was he gave the German POW food for it after he was captured during Operation Nordwind.  I have her looking for the Bringback Certificate now.  

When I got it, the collar tabs and sleeve eagle were missing.  

I had the tunic verified as original by some US Waffen SS Collectors whose names all well known in the community. It is a definitely combat worn.  I had the pocket resewn (was torn)  the collar tabs and sleeve eagle resewn to complete the tunic (professional restorer who does stuff for the Ruptured Duck). 

I am quite happy with everything since it will most likely be the only WSS tunic that I will ever own.  It was really neat that that this was found in my Great Uncle's attic after all of these years.  

I am working on getting some more stuff in the mail.

I hope that all of you enjoy the pictures.

BTW.  The Badge locations on the pocket are exactly where the Soldier had them pinned through the pocket so yes they are that close.

GvB1a.jpg

GvB2a.jpg

GvB3a.jpg

GvB4.JPG

38 minutes ago, Stuka f said:

Very nice

applau12.gif

Stuka thanks man.  This and some of my Baden WW1 stuff are prized pieces in my collection.  I really need to get my tunic onto a Male Torso Mannequin and put a SS M43 or Overseas hat with it along with my SS Belt.  Not too bad for something from a  family member.

10 hours ago, ostprussenmann_new said:

This and some of my Baden WW1 stuff are prized pieces in my collection

I can imagine.I am looking forward for a find like that (for myself (lol!!)).

3 hours ago, Stuka f said:

I can imagine.I am looking forward for a find like that (for myself (lol!!)).

Can you believe Stuka that she called me and asked if I wanted it because she was going to throw all of the German stuff away?  She is 60 and just wanted to hold onto her Dad's stuff (the US stuff).  When I get all of the stuff that she is sending I will post more photos.  I also got a EM SS Buckle and some other smaller things in the last package, so once I get my mannequin (upper torso) I am going to place the SS tunic on that.

She told me that there are two more Cedar Chests in the attic that her father always told her and her siblings to never open, so I am thinking there may be some more treasures waiting to be discovered.  Things that I have seen before that I know she has are a SS Dagger, HJ Knife, Sword  (unknown), and another edged weapon.  She does remember as a kid that he also used to shoot a German handgun (unknown what it was) that he used to shoot with my Grandpa and his brother along with his brothers so I am waiting for her to find that.  It is definitely nice that she is giving me all of it. 

Before her dad got hurt during Market Garden (he was in gliders), he was in the 101st ABN Division then finally ended in 100th (Light Infantry) so I am hoping that he kept his uniforms because I would like to have those also.

You live in Europe so I am sure something will pop up.  It seems to always do.

Edited by ostprussenmann_new
    correction

57 minutes ago, Spasm said:

Cedar trunks in the attic that should never be opened.........blimey, I wonder what they could be hiding?

Spasm,  I am hoping she finds that German pistol and some other goodies.  I also told her to not dismiss any paperwork in order to prove providence for everything.  I still can't believe she was going to throw it all away.  As I get more stuff in, I will post pictures.  Thanks for your interest.

You remember that trunk full of SS Officer's rings that have never been found, or that Werewolf unit who hid a trunk full of gold, or those looted pieces of Polish relics, or bits of the Amber room from St Petersburg............or yes, maybe a Luger. 

I doubt it is something that extreme.  Hell...it could just be junk.  Even his issued items would be great.  This is probably the climax of the find.  The original "stripped" (minus Cuff Title and rank tab) tunic was found in a box in the closet along with some patches and stuff.  It was being used as padding for some old Coo-Koo clocks and pocket watches brought back from Germany.  Glad that she pulled if out instead of just throwing the box away.

22 hours ago, ostprussenmann_new said:

You live in Europe so I am sure something will pop up.  It seems to always do.

I am not complaining! I had my share all ready. But never ϟϟ items....

1 hour ago, Stuka f said:

I am not complaining! I had my share all ready. But never ϟϟ items....

I completely understand that and respect you for it.  Most of my collection have come from family members or relate to Family members units.  This is my first and last SS item unless she sends me more.  I am still trying to find a Waffenrock or Combat tunic for Pioneer Battalion NR. 22 (Part of the 22d Infanterie Division) because my great grandpa's youngest brother was in that.  After that, I am most likely done with TRM.  I barely can afford the stuff.  This recent tunic restoration was the most money that I have dropped on something since 2010.  Another Nice to have thing would be to have an Algerian French Foreign Legion Uniform (always had a thing for the FFL). 

I haven't bought anything new in years.  When you have kids, they become the priority.

What do you collect and what is your rarest item?  I would love to hear about what you have.

I might have expressed me badly; I would love to find ss stuff, but it never happend.

I once came very close to it (flemish volunteer uniform!) , but missed it....

I am in antiques in general and clear houses now and then. A few weeks ago I had to clear  a house that belonged to Frans Van Immerseel ( https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frans_Van_Immerseel ) but no WWII related remained....

My collection is build up of mainly occasional finds; things that crossed my path at affordable prices.

The children ar on theyr own now, but we bought a new (old ) house that needs to be redone, so collection is slow.

My main intrest goes to Belgian Congo and my home city Antwerp. I collect anything related to those themes.

Also love trains, planes, cars, boats, toys, etc.

I started collecting militaria again since 2005 (after a stop of  nearly 30 years), here is a photo book I made in 2014.

Some of the items are no longer part of the collection, but I need to up date it. 

http://www.albelli.be/onlinefotoboek-delen/486a5276-ddb8-47bf-b5b1-4d00548ce564

Also have old polaroids of my primary collection (with some ss stuff), they must be here somwhere on the forum.

6 hours ago, Stuka f said:

I might have expressed me badly; I would love to find ss stuff, but it never happend.

I once came very close to it (flemish volunteer uniform!) , but missed it....

I am in antiques in general and clear houses now and then. A few weeks ago I had to clear  a house that belonged to Frans Van Immerseel ( https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frans_Van_Immerseel ) but no WWII related remained....

My collection is build up of mainly occasional finds; things that crossed my path at affordable prices.

The children ar on theyr own now, but we bought a new (old ) house that needs to be redone, so collection is slow.

My main intrest goes to Belgian Congo and my home city Antwerp. I collect anything related to those themes.

Also love trains, planes, cars, boats, toys, etc.

I started collecting militaria again since 2005 (after a stop of  nearly 30 years), here is a photo book I made in 2014.

Some of the items are no longer part of the collection, but I need to up date it. 

http://www.albelli.be/onlinefotoboek-delen/486a5276-ddb8-47bf-b5b1-4d00548ce564

Also have old polaroids of my primary collection (with some ss stuff), they must be here somwhere on the forum.

Stuka, I looked at your book.  That is a pretty amazing collection.  I assume that you Metal Detect and found a lot of that stuff.  I really liked the Suit of Armor (pp 2-3), the display (pp 28-29), Compass (pp 40-41), the Pike (pp 56-57), and your edged weapons.  Quite amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks ostprussenmann.

I never went on metal detecting! I just restarted collecting by buying ground digs. They were cheaper and a good start to learn, again, right from wrong.

The things you like; suit of armor, compass and pike, are no longer in the collection.

The display is something I am planning to do again, only much bigger now.

The war room now is 25 m2 ,with a 6m long display againts the back wall, a center 3 m display, and cabinets against the other walls. Problem is that there is so much more to do in the house; it have to wait.

So here is my temporary display...

verzameling 004.JPG

verzameling 005.JPG

The Belgian Congo collection, my telephones and some other parts and bits need to be displayed in there as well;

verzameling 008.JPG

verzameling 009.JPG

verzameling 010.JPG

That is quite a set up.  Did you build the wood shelves?  There are some hidden gems in there.

If I didn't have three young ones taking up the basement as a Play one, I would do my display a little different thank I have.  I have a multiple leveled bookshelf that takes up the entire small wall of our basement.  The top shelves contain my collection by period and service and the bottom shelves are my books.  My three tunics that I have are on heavy duty hangers on the wall where the kids can't grab (even though they never mess with my stuff) until I buy me three torsos.

Eventually, when I retire from and we build our permanent home, I am going to store all of my stuff in a Fire Room in case our house ever burns down.  I want to Red Light also.

Hopefully my collection continues to grow.  All of my hobbies (Militaria related to Family and guns (working) are expensive so it happens a little at a time.

This has turned out to be a great conversation.

Edited by ostprussenmann_new

Thanks.

No, didn't do those woden shelves they are part of a cupboard that was still in the hall of the house.

The house we ar living in now was build in the early 1930 ties and still has the art deco spirit despite some "improvements" former owners did.

The basement is as big as the house but unfortunatly to wet to put anything of value...

I would love to make the war room fire proof, but that would take a lot of work. One thing i am going to do is put in a fire and buglar proof door in the only acces from the house to that room.

And no wurry's collections always grows even with little at the time.