News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tamgha -i-Khidmat (Pakistan)

Hashim.A.Khan

Tamgha-i-Khidmat, also know as the service medal is the fifth highest honour given by the government of Pakistan.

15409781_1538207739528969_277350496_o.jpg

15397760_1538207736195636_82236358_o.jpg

15419250_1538207722862304_1417182476_o.jpg

The fact that fascinates me is that these medals aren't necessarily the same size. According to my sources, these medals come in three sizes each, the 1st class medal pictured is the medium sized variant whereas the remaining two are the large sized specimens. Any information and suggestions on the varying sizes will be highly appreciated

Regards

Hashim

15409686_1538207729528970_1246653106_o.jpg

Hashim,

Nice to hear from you again.

Basically there are two types of Tamgha-i-Khidmat

The first type as issued in 1957 is larger and the First class is hallmarked SGP and the Second class is hallmarked SSP.

Later probably around the 80s the second type was issued, these are smaller, 37mm and none of the classes are hallmarked.

I hope this is of help

An unusually large number were awarded in 1957 to cover the period from independence.

I hope this is of help,

Paul

Hey Hugh

Fifth class? That's the first time I'm hearing about the fifth class, thought there were only 3 classes, as pictured

regards 

Hashim

Thank you for the reply Paul, do you have any prior information about how many classes there are? @Hugh mentioned a fifth class which is something I've never seen nor heard 

regards 

Hashim 

Now and then it's useful to look at one's notes instead of just winging it from memory.  Apologies.  I have this listed as Tamgha-i-Khidmat 2nd class in my inventory.  Is that correct?  Dimensions shown in previous post.

Thanks,

Hugh

PK11_Tamgha-i-Khidmat_2nd_Cl._.JPG

Far be it for me to dissent from those more knowledgeable, but just a couple of observations.    

I can't see any trace of remaining enamel, and normally, I'd expect to see at least a small ridge at the edge of the enamelled surface to prevent the liquid enamel from running over the edge. There is none.  Of course, neither of these is conclusive but I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a non-enamelled version.  

Just asking.

Hey Hugh

This was the reason why i posted this, really interesting to find out different views and the most prominent of all, all the new information that follows. Im wondering if you could share more information about the fourth and fifth class if you come across

Hashim

I'm late to this topic but will wade in anyway, in my usual handless fashion. ;)

Is it possible that the earlier, hallmarked versions did NOT have enamel and that the later versions had it added for aesthetic reasons or to make up for the fact - I'm assuming, here, from the lack of hallmarks - that they were not made of precious metal?  Just a thought.  Interesting topic and always good to hear from you, Hashim, a younger member, of which we seem to have a sad lack!

22 hours ago, Hashim.A.Khan said:

Hey Hugh

This was the reason why i posted this, really interesting to find out different views and the most prominent of all, all the new information that follows. Im wondering if you could share more information about the fourth and fifth class if you come across

Hashim

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm afraid that the fourth and fifth class exist only in my fevered brain.  I wrote without consulting my source data, and, as often happens, screwed up.  I was probably thinking of the European orders, many of which have five classes, but NOT the Tamgha-i-Khidmat.  

Now, about that enamle...

Best,

Hugh

Hey Peter

Has been a couple of months since this medal fever took over me, interesting to find new information of the forum. The most interesting this about these three medals is the quality. The 3rd class seems to lack simple finishing whereas the second one looks to have been inspected. The first class is pure perfection, interesting to see how the quality changes through the three medals 

Hashim 

Hey Paul

Pretty sure Hugh misunderstood something, i panicked there a bit hearing about the fifth class, took me pretty decent time to find extra ordinary specimens

Hashim

Hashim,

Based on material and illustration I have accessed on both types there is no doubt that they were originally enamelled. The only possible unenamelled pieces would be Pakistan mint trials (of which I am sure several would have been made prior to production).

Paul

• 3 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 years later...

Dear Gentlemen,

Tamgha-i-Khidmat 3rd class 3rd type :

image.thumb.jpeg.551fd42ae321f7ea8d3fefe28ef87817.jpeg

image.jpeg.d4c18c55fc7a1f1dcc344db232650c75.jpeg

Another one :

image.thumb.jpeg.a71792fdb9da06e6c60b4eb6798856f5.jpeg

Both :

image.thumb.jpeg.d00421a65b25f4b05e120cbb745f6c2a.jpeg

The three classes :

image.thumb.jpeg.4adbe1016340726ef8dcc10417bfd813.jpeg

The source of the classification is "Medals Catalogue of Pakistan" by Yahya Qureshi & Rafiq Kasbati :

image.thumb.jpeg.f0affa5d5e73e4a8c0e6830300d4ca99.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

• 1 year later...