News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Navy badge identification

I am trying to help a member of another forum to identify  a badge on a Royal Navy white uniform . It is a blue horizontal stripe high up on the left arm above the the rating badge  ( Petty Officer 2nd Class) and good conduct chevrons. The uniform dates, we think, from the early 20th century. I have looked at the 1897 dress regulations but can find nothing like it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I have no knowledge when it comes to British navy uniforms. Sailors of the German Navy had different stripes on their sleeves to indicate what watch they belonged to. There were also badges on large warships to indicate what "Division" of that ship (like a company in the army) they belonged to. Don´t know if this is a possiblility.

GreyC

Grey C, Thanks for the reply, which was a very good lead. After doing some digging I've now established that it is a pre-1897 badge indicating membership of the port watch. It would be on the right sleeve for starboard watch. It is mentioned in the 1890 uniform regulations for the Royal Navy, but disappears in1897, so the uniform is obviously not 20th century.

Patrick