News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mervyn was a true gentlemen.  We had never met and corresponded only intermittently via this group, as we had a couple interests in common, but when I mentioned that my youngest was headed to SA for school he immediately offred to rpovide the names of friends in cape Town who would look in on her if need be and also said that, if she were in his area that he would be happy to house, feed and entertain her!  

I hope he has dogs and a garden wherever he is, to give him joy!

Peter

I knew Mervyn as an occasional customer in his shop.  He had quality militaria items for sale, many of which were beyond my means.  On two occasions that involved 'must have' medals for my collection, he accepted the cash I could afford plus items such as Zulu artefacts in exchange.  The 'must haves' are shown below. They are a Zulu War medal to a Trooper in the Buffalo Border Guard, a small local regiment in which a distant relative of mine served, and a six-medal group to a Natal Police officer.  Whenever I look at, or think them, I remember Mervyn, and I am grateful for his kindness and consideration.

Brett

NP - HAMILTON  Medals 4.jpg

SMITH BBG medal.jpg

Mervyn once sent me photos of a tipstaff he was selling, and I agreed to buy it.  He then emailed me again saying he thinks I should also buy another one he was selling, but I demurred.  But Mervyn persisted, saying he thought I should really, really, really buy the second one as well because it was too good to be left behind.  He said he was so sure about this, that if I didn't like the second tipstaff when I received it, that he would not only take it back, but that he would pay for shipping both ways.  I relented, buying both.  When I received the parcel I was delighted to see that Mervyn was absolutely right, and this second was not only a great tipstaff, but one of the best, ever.  I was delighted he “forced” me to buy it!

5 hours ago, CollectorInTheUSA said:

Mervyn once sent me photos of a tipstaff he was selling, and I agreed to buy it.  He then emailed me again saying he thinks I should also buy another one he was selling, but I demurred.  But Mervyn persisted, saying he thought I should really, really, really buy the second one as well because it was too good to be left behind.  He said he was so sure about this, that if I didn't like the second tipstaff when I received it, that he would not only take it back, but that he would pay for shipping both ways.  I relented, buying both. 

May we see them?