News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help on French military ID bracelet

peron

Hi gents

Need some help on identify this french army bracelet, is it a WWI model ou WWII?

Where or is there online a site where can I find any info about the soldier ?

the 1916 number on it is a year or militar ID number?

Thanks in advance for any information...

Regards

Peron

912907257_1_1000x700_pulseira-militar-cantanhede_rev004.jpg

912907257_2_1000x700_pulseira-militar-imagens_rev004.jpg

912907257_3_1000x700_pulseira-militar-coleces-antiguidades_rev004.jpg

I don't know much about French ID tags but think this type came into use about mid 1918, authorised in May 1918. However, the way it's stamped makes it appear to me to be tag used much later.

1916 should indicate the class year but I believe EV indicates a volunteer rather than a conscript. I have no literature to back this up, it just things I've heard in the past.

Here's a site with a few examples pictured http://militarianominatif.forumactif.org/t87-les-plaques-d-identite-mle-1918-francaises

Hopefully someone can give you a better reply.

Tony

13 hours ago, Tony said:

I don't know much about French ID tags but think this type came into use about mid 1918, authorised in May 1918. However, the way it's stamped makes it appear to me to be tag used much later.

1916 should indicate the class year but I believe EV indicates a volunteer rather than a conscript. I have no literature to back this up, it just things I've heard in the past.

Here's a site with a few examples pictured http://militarianominatif.forumactif.org/t87-les-plaques-d-identite-mle-1918-francaises

Hopefully someone can give you a better reply.

Tony

Thank you Tony for the information...

6 hours ago, francoismln said:

Hello,

Jean Neuhaus was a lieutenant in the Ordnance corps.

He was retired in 1954.

His personnel file is available in the Service historique de la Défense in Vincennes, France.

Best regards.

Francois

Bonjour François

Thank you four your aid. Do you know if is file could be online?

Best regards et merci pour votre aide

P.

The reason for my question is that I have also obtain some medals among with this bracelet that acourding to the information that I have obtain belonged to this officer.

I hope to confirm this information by consulting is militar records!!!

One of the medals is this 1939 croix de guerre...

914116057_1_1000x700_medalha-militar-cruz-de-guerra-1939-cantanhede_rev005.jpg

914116057_2_1000x700_medalha-militar-cruz-de-guerra-1939-imagens_rev005.jpg

914116057_3_1000x700_medalha-militar-cruz-de-guerra-1939-coleces-antiguidades_rev005.jpg

If he was from the 'class of '16' he would have been a very young soldier in WWI and presumably either stayed in the Army or rejoined for the Second War and stayed in after that, retiring in 1954, so the medal is certainly one he could have earned.

As you can see from the site Tony posted, there was no single pattern for these tags/bracelets but if I had to guess I'd say that his ID number was '413' and that the 'EV1916' may mean, as Peron said, simply that he was a volunteer.

Edited by peter monahan

5 hours ago, francoismln said:

Hello,

EV 1916 is likely for "Engagé volontaire in 1916".

The file of this officier is not online. I will try to see it in the historical service (end of March).

I will keep you informed.

Best regards.

Francois

Bonsoir François

Merci beaucoup pour votre aide...ça serait super!!!!!

Thank you François that would be great!!!!

My very best regards!!!!

P. 

• 2 weeks later...