News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schwarzburg-Rudolfstadt Silver War Merit Medal

Hello

Please find attached a small medalbar from a brave WWI Soldier who has his origins in the small "Fürstentum"of Schwarzburg-Rudolfstadt. Any opinions on the medal itself? Early Issue? late Issue? etc.  The Medal is non magnetic and appears to be silver.

Thanks in advance

Stijn

20170731_193232.jpg

20170731_193319.jpg

20170731_193304.jpg

Agreed, an early silver one. Later issues were made of zinc (see pictures below).

SWB_1914A.jpg

SWB_1914R.jpg

PS. Small correction: this medal is common for both principialties: Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt and Schwarzburg-Sondershausen, which were in personal union under rule of prince Günther Victor since 1909

There is no single roll for the Medal for Merit in War. They are included in a master roll of all Schwarzburg awards from the early 1800s on. This "roll" is a book which is about two feet in height and which I could not even open without propping up a stack of other books next to it.

I have compiled the rolls for the Ehrenkreuz from 1909 (when Fürst Günther Victor became ruler of both principalities) to 1918, including awards with swords and with the Eichenbruch.  For these, there were separate rolls. I also compiled a partial list of the Ehrenmedaille with Eichenbruch, but there was only a roll for one of the principalities. Also, some ephemera like the Sondershausen Rettungsmedaille, one of the rarest German awards (19 awards between 1868 and 1918). These are in the process of being published.

Hi Dave

Thank you! A wonderfull job for sure.  As i understand it correct the Silver Medals are not yet listed seperatly at this point?  If not i might do it in the future to get this one also completely listed. (I have done it before on a more extensive roll => the Altenburg Bravery medal)

Cordial greetings