News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czechoslovak Awards of the 2nd Resistance

I decided to create a new topic,where I would like to introduce the awards of the 2nd Resistance,that means orders and medals for merit in fighting against fascism.I realize it will be a long work-lots of taking pictures,writing commentaries... Please,be patient.Czechoslovak awards are interesting not the only with nice design,but also the number of awards was extremly low.It is my point of view,and you need not to agree with it.All items in the topic will be from my collection.I hope you will find it interestnng to have a look at the topic.

1.Czechoslovak Medal of Janošík

It weas institued 14.6.1946 as an award for the partisanes mostly in Protektorat Bohemia and Moravia.For partisanes in Slovakia was the Order of the Slovak National Uprising.But it does not mean,no Slovak citizens got this medal.The number of award is not high,about 450.The Medal of Janošík is made from bronze,diameter 35mm.In the obverse we can see the figure of Slovak national hero,a robber from 18 th century,that took rich and gave to poor.The titlle-Better not to be,than to be a slave.In the reverse -For Bravery in the Partisane Battles of Czecs and Slovaks.In the topic are pictures of the medal with a certificate. The period to honouring with the medal was probably to 1949.

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 002.jpg

Snímek 003.jpg

2.Czechoslovak Commemorative Medal-Czechoslovak Army Abroad

It was instituted 15.10.1943 in London by the Ministry of National Defence.It was given to Czechoslovak soldiers who served in the foreign units,also foreign soldiers could be awarded with this medal.

It was made from bronze,dimensions 36x48mm.The wreath constitutes this medal with a sword and a siiver lion down.In the reverse is the inscription in the Czech language  Czechoslovak Army Abroad.

There 3 versions of the medal

A, London issue .This medal in the picture is with small bronze labels,which show the places of the battles of Czech and Slovak soldiers:.F-France,VB-Geat Britain.Notice the differences later.

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

B,Prague issue 1945.The medals have labels-SSSR-the USSR,Střední Východ-Middle East,and again France,Great Britain and abbreviation SV-Middle East.

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

C,Prague issue 1945-1947.There are some differences,e.g.the lion is screwed with the letter Z-Zineger Firm,and the letters are in the depth.

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

I am sorry but I do not have the certificate dimesions 21x30cm.I have only the Affirmance 10x20cm to Ján Prna and the Permit 7x11cm for Ján Hanulík.Also I would like to add the photo of all my medals in the etuis.

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 002.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

3.Czechoslovak Military Medal for Merit

It was instituted 20.4.1943 for the military persons for their merit but not in the fight in the face of the enemy.Simply,it was necessary to honour the airmechanics,nurses...,because they could not be awarded with the Medal for Bravery or  the  War Cross 1939.Of course, with this medal could be honoured also pilots and all subjects of the Army.

The medal existed in 2 grades to the end of the 1940 ies..Diameter od the medal 33mm.Dimensions of the etue 5 x 11cm.There were many producers of the medal.First the medal was produced in London,Spink & Son Ltd.I do not have the version of this medal in my collection,so I cannot show it.

But I have the medal of the 1 st grade in silver 800.I am sure it is a rare version,determined for high officers?I  can show the certificate only for the 2nd grade.I am not the owner of the 1st one.

In the obverse we can see the heads of 3 soldiers in helmets and the inscription Za zásluhy-For Merit and the abr Č.S.R.

In the reverse is the limb branch in the rays of the sun.

Snímek 002.jpg

Snímek 002.jpg

Snímek 004.jpg

next photos

IMG_6059.jpg

ph.jpg

Snímek 001.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

4.Czechoslovak War Cross 1939

Established in London 20.12.1940 by the Czechoslovak Goverment in Exile to award for bravery in fighting against the enemy and for the liberation of the fatherland.The award got the chronology 1939,becouse there was already an award with the same titlle.The dimensions of the cross -44mmx44mm.In the reverse are the signs of the parts of the country in the ends of the arms.In the obverse in the middle of the cross the lion is walking left.

There were some emissions and producers of the cross.

A,London emission 1940.Look at the photos a you can see typical features of this version

6347176883_1.jpg

5926043596_1.jpg

5926043596_3.jpg

5926043596.jpg

b,Prague emissions.The award was produced in Prague in several periods:1945,1946 ,till 1947.

5916582564.jpg

5916582564_1.jpg

5916582564_2.jpg

C,Prague emissions with sphedial loop are typical for the awards in memoriam.By my experiace I got these awards to my collections by the people where the crosses were awarded to the members of the family.Look at the 2nd cross left among the group of the crosses in my collection.It was awarded in memoriam to Ján Secký.

Snímek 003.jpg

4x.jpg

By the decree it was tendency to wear only one cross,and the next awarding to identify with the bronze limb branch on the ribbon ,but look at the picture of M.Glider.He is wearing 3x War Crosses 1939.Probably,he could not buy the braches to put them on the ribbon.He was a foreigner.The last picture is the certificate for Ján Klobušiak.

IMG_0928.jpg

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 004.jpg

5.Czechoslovak Partisan Badge

It was instituted 9.8.1946 to determine the term of the Czechoslovak partisan as a remembrance to Czechoslovak partisans for their fight against the fascism in the 2WW.It is from bronze ,silvered.Though there are some thoughts about a few pieces in silver.Also there is the  tednency to show and sell the numberred pieces.The dimensions of the bagde is 50mm,the badge is screwed.The dimensions of minibadges are 25,26,27mm.The description:an armed with a gun-mashine partisan walking right,left is the inscription Čs.partyzán.

The Ministry of the National Defence awarded with this badge.Not only Czechoslovak citizens obtained the badge but also foreign ones-French,Soviet,Hungarian ...received this award.The special etue existed for this badge.

A,Versions of the badge with minibadges

Snímek 001.jpg

pr.jpg

6671829735_1.jpg

B,The Badge of the Partisan-Helper or better Partisan-Assistant

I do not have any information about the fact when this bagde was instituted,because I have not seen any certificate to it.Dimensions of this bronze badge are 45mm between the rays of the bagde.Also minibadge is in existence.We can see hand in hand as a content of the badge.In the bottom of the bagde is the titlle-Partyzán-pomocník in  Czech language,that means Partisan-Helper .I remember I asked my uncle about 30years ago why he received this bagde.He answerred my brother,he meant my father was a partisan,I gave him some food,I was giving him some information...etc,I helped my brother,I helped the partisan,so I was a partisan-helper.The badge is also screwed.

Snímek 002.jpg

1260085572_zadn__strana.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

C.I would like to add not only the picture of the certificate but also the bagdes of the Slovak Partisan units which acted in the Slovak National Uprising.These bagdes are popular among the collectors and they collect them.E.g.Čapajev,Egorov and Trojan.

Snímek 006.jpg

Snímek 005.jpg

Snímek 003.jpg

6724297248.jpg

6.Czechoslovak Medal for Bravery before the Enemy

The medal was instituted 20.12.1940 in London by Czechoslovak Government in exile.It was honoured to soldiers who showed the personal bravery against enemy in the battlefield at home and abroad.Also foreign citizens were awarded with this decoration-Soviets,Romanians,Britons...etc.The President or Minister of Defence awarded with the medal.The diameter of the medal is about 33 mm.It was made from bronze.In the obverse we can see the head of the lion with a sword a the titlle- Za chrabrost in the Czech language ,or Za chrabrosť in Slovak language.The Slovak language has a hiccup on the letter ť.In the reverse is the the inscription Pravda vítězí-Truth wins and 1939.

A,London type 1940,is from the dark bronze

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 002.jpg

B,Prague type 1945 is from the lighter bronze and we can see some differences in letters,and in the the picture of the lion and of the sword.

Snímek 004.jpg

Snímek 005.jpg

I am sorry I cannot show the picture of the certificate,I do not have it in hand and the pictures of the medals with the  bronze branch on the ribbon,that means the repeated awarding.I do not have the medal with the  repeated awarding in my collection.But I have 4 medals-all types and if somebody wants he can have a look at the picture of these decorations.Here you are.

Picture 058.jpg

7.Czechoslovak Military Order for Liberty

The order was instituted 2.4.1946 as a military award for Czechoslovak and foreign citizens, who with their military acts in years 1939-1945 contributed to the liberation of Czechoslovakia. The statutes from years 1947-1949 were renewed to award also the military groups.The President or the Minister of National Defence honoured with the order.

The order had 3 grades:The Golden Star

The Silver Medal

The Bronze Medal

First  I will add only the common photo of all grades.To be continued...

IMG_8979.jpg

1.The 1st Grade The Gold Star

It is situated in the etue 8,5x14,5cm.The dimension of the star is 5,5cm.The diameter of the wreath is 4cm.The weight of the silver strongly gold plated star is 39gr.Many Soviet Marshals,Commanders of Partisane Units and Czechoslovak Paratroopers in memoriam were honoured with the 1st grade of this order .The star is made from silver 937 purity and in the reverse we can find the mark of the mint-K,that means the Mint Kremnica.I do not dare to guess the number of the people awarded with the 1st grade.I am sorry to write I do not have the certificate not only the first grade but also the 2nd and the 3rd.Simply,I did not buy the the order with certificate,so I think the star and the medals are storage pieces.

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 002.jpg

Snímek 003.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

2.-3.The 2nd and the 3rd Grades

The 2nd Grade -it is Silver Medal.Because I did not find the marks of silver I have to tell the medal of the 2nd grade is from silvered bronze,diameter of the medal is 3,5cm.In the obverse we can see a couple of soldiers watching left,and the title Za svobodu Československa-For Liberty of Czechoslovakia.In the reverse we can see crossed swords and the titles Pravda vítězí-The truth wins and 1939-1945.

The 3rd Grade does not differ from the 2nd too much,but only the medal is not the silvered.

The  name of the 3rd Grade is Bronze Medal.

Who wants to have a look at the certificates of the order, you can find them in the site vyznamenani.net.

Snímek 005.jpg

Snímek 006.jpg

8.Czechoslovak Commander's Order of Jan Zizka of Trocnov

The order was instituted 14.6.1946 for commanders of the units of Chechoslovak or Ally Army that lead their units in the batlle  during the 2WW and they contributed to the victory and the liberation of Czechoslovakia and they showed their personal bravery or demonstrated superb combat activity.

The President or the  Minister of National Defence honoured with this order.

The order existed in 3 grades.

A,Gold Star ,the 1st Grade -the diameter of the star 70mm,weight 78gr.The star is a 8-point flial,in the centre the head of the Commander of Husits Units Jan Žižka and the title-Do not worry of the enemies and do not look at the quantity.The Gold Star was determined for the commanders of units like army,their deputies or chiefs in staff.The Gold Star is made from silver,purity 937,strongly gold plated-Pozlaceno in Czech.The marks of silver we can see in the reverse of the star.

Jan Žižka was a national Czech hero in 15th century.

Snímek 010.jpg

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 002.jpg

B,Silver Star was the 2nd Grade of the order,costant with the 1st grade but the bagde of the order was not gold plated.it was awarded to commanders of units like divisions or corps.

Snímek 003.jpg

Snímek 004.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

C,Silver Medal it was awarded to commanders of companies,battalions or lower units.The medal was from silver,marks of silver 937 we can find in the ridge.In the reverse there is a title Czechoslovak Commanders Order of Jan Žižka from Trocnov and crossed whirl bats.The obverse is the common with medallion in the stars.The diameter of the medal is 35mm.

Snímek 005.jpg

Snímek 011.jpg

Snímek 006.jpg

Snímek 007.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

I do not have any certificates of this order.That means my stars and the medal are from storage pieces,I think.They came to collectors after 1989 from Prague Castle,I heard.

The awarding with the order is a mystery for erudite phalerists,too.The number of made pieces of the 1st grade was 500,but there were only 8 pieces awarded-Beneš,Gottwald,Zápotocký,3 banners of legionary regiments,and Asmolov and Šukajev-Soviet commanders of Partisane units.No Svoboda,no Boček,no Klapalek...

Only 23 orders of the 2nd Grade were awarded ,though 1000 were

produced.

89 medals were honoured,though 5000 were produced.Personally,I was familar with Jozef Herko,who was awarded with the 3rd Grade,he was a Battalion Commander,my father was in the same unit.

I would like to add the photos of Soviet Partisan Commanders Asmolov,Jegorov and the etuis of the order.

Snímek 008.jpg

Addition to the order .I am glad it was accepted.

IMG_8978.jpg

Snímek 009.jpg

жижка.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

9.Commemorative Badge of the Second National Resistance

It was instituted 14.5.1946 by the Ministry of Internal Affairs for the Czech and Moravian citizens.After the end of the WW2 and the liberation of Czechoslovakia was the accute need to award the citizens who did not fight aganst the nacism with the weapon in hand in military units,but they passed intelligent news,hid captives from prison camps,helped partisans,worked in illegal movement,acted sabotages,etc.

Simply,it was necessary to create the award for civil citizens.

The badge has a design of the circle medal,diameter 35 mm,made from bronze.

In the reverse there is a title: In Memory of the 2 National Resistance ,in the obverse the head of a woman  symbolizing the republik and the title For fidelity 1939-1945.

I am sorry I stole the photo of the certificate from the internet,but I think It is quite interesting to see it.

8289-01.jpg

odboj_reverst.jpg

vyznam---4---046.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

10.Commemorative Decoration for Liberated Political Prisoner

There are five types of the decoration distingushed.Probably the decoration was instituted in 1946 by the Ministry of National Defence,and then became the  decoration of the organisations.Simply,it was  a need to award the antifascists who spend a certain  time in Nazy prison camps.It has a design of the Maltese cross,dimensions 38mm,from bronze.Now I wuold like to introduce all variants.That is true I do not all exact information,because  I do not have the certificates to them,but I have the all variants of crosses,so I think my information could useful for someboby who has these crosses,but he does not know to rank them.

A,The cross-For Fidelity from 1946,in the obverse the lion as a state sign, in the reverse in the circle the title For fidelity, initials SOPV-Union of Liberated Political Prisoners and 1939-1945.I do not exactly why its existence was so short.So I think it can be interesting for collectors.

Picture 056.jpg

Picture 057.jpg

B,The cross of the Organisation of Liberated  Political Prisoners.It differs from the 1st type by its reverse where is a triangle as a sign of the organisation,that began to award the decoration.About 70000 crosses were awarded from 1947 to 1960.I do not have the certificate of the decoration but I can describe it .Thorny wreath is the idea,it is alco the thorn as a sign of suffering.The decoration of this type full name is The Cross for Liberated Political Prisoners and Survivors after the Sucrifices of Nacizm.

Snímek 010.jpg

Snímek 008.jpg

C,The Cross For Fidelity 1961-1989.The obverse has a new sign of ČSSR after 1961,and in the reverse there is the title For Fidelity and and the abbr SPB-The Union of Antifascists 1939-1945.The Union of Czechoslovak Antifascists honoured with it.I also have an award booklet to it.

1961a.jpg

1961.jpg

Snímek 005.jpg

Snímek 004.jpg

D,The Cross for Fidelity ,period 1990-1992?Probably it was an award ofthe  Chech-Slovak Union of the Fighters for Freedom.

199.jpg

r.jpg

E,The Cross of the Czech-Bohemian ?Union of the fighters for Freedom.Instituted in 1993?In the obverse there is lion as a sign of the Czech Republic,in the reverse the title For Fidelity-Za věrnost 1939-1945 and the abbr ČSBS-Český svaz bojovníku za svobodu.

sba.jpg

sbr.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

11.Order of the Slovak National Uprising

It was instituted 23.8.1945 by the Slovak National Board -Parliament for persons who deserved themselves in resistance against nacism,prepared the resistance and the uprising,acted in the uprising as commanders or with weapon in hand,fell in the fight or were in  the danger of life.The Presidium of the SNB awarded with the order to 15.4.1948,then it was the President who honoured with the order.

The order had 2 grades and a commemorative medal.                                                                            A,The order of the 1st grade was the medal from bronze ,strongly gold plated.Diameter 36 mm.In the obverse we can see the the figure of the woman,who is holding the broken sword and the inscription Slovenské národné povstanie 29.8.1944.In the reverse is the title of the order in Slovak-Rad Slovenského národného povstania 1.trieda.I think the readers can understand and there is no necessity for translation.

About 1200 awards of the order of the 1st clas were awarded.I  want to show two variants -with the letter K,the name of the author of the order Jozef Kostka and without K in the obverse.The type without K was used for awarding in memoriam.The order was given in the nice etue.I have the order with the certificate but with not appropriate number.

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

B,The Order of SNU of the 2 nd grade was a medal from bronze strongly silvered.In the reverse there II.trieda,that means the 2nd grade.The medals are also variants ,witkh K and without K.The certificate is to Ján Klobušiak,I remember I had the complet of his awards.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

C,The Commemorative Medal of the Order

It is from bronze,in the reverse is the title In Memory for Participation in Uprising.

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

12.Order of the Slovak National Board-Parliament For Heroism in Work

First I was intend to create a new topic,where the Orders of Slovak National Uprising and For Heroism in Work would be together with the name-Awards of the Slovak National Board,but then I thougt they could be in the topic about the awards of the 2nd resistance.As a matter of a fact,these orders are connected with the facts of the WW2.

It was instituted by the Slovak National Board 23.8.1945 to honour persons who their tough work attributed reconstruction of Slovakia that was destroyed by the war.

The order existed in 3 grades.

A,The Order of the 1 grade was a gold plated circle from bronze 31mm in diameter.In the obverse there is an erotic motive,a naked woman runnig with the wreath in her hand.Over her there is the title-Za hrdinstvo v práci-For Heroism in Work.In the reverse there is the title-Order of SNR For Heroism in Work 1 grade ,und the number.I do not have the certificate ,though I was the owner of the certificate with the order numbered 312 ,but I sold it.The order is not so cheap to have many pieces in the collection.Only about some more than 300 awards were given of the 1st grade.

Snímek 001.jpg

Snímek 009.jpg

Snímek 003.jpg

B,The Order of the 2nd Grade was the same in content with the order of the 1st grade but it is from silvered bronze and in the reverse is II .trieda -2nd Grade.The ribbon is light blue.The order of the 2nd grade is also rare.

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Edited by nickstrenk

13.Czechoslovak Military Order of the White Lion "For victory"

Instituted: 9 February 1945 in London.

Awarded: To Czech citizens and foreigners for military merit, either personal acts of bravery or leadership.

Grades: 5 (Star 1st Class, Star 2nd Class, Cross, Gold Medal and Silver Medal).

Finally I am in the end of my topic,only to finish my short talk about this highest military order.I am sorry,I do not have very much information about it,except of that I read in books or in internet.I have never had any certificates ,I have never bought the the awards from from the medalist or in the family.All my pieces of the order I bought in meeting of collectors,so I do not if they were given or they were not awarded,i.e.storage pieces.

The author of the project was plk.or Colonel Václav Havlovský.The first versions were made by the firm Spink&Son.Next versions were of the Prague Firm Karnet a Kysely.Now I an going to show the pieces from my collection.Who wants to get some more information about this award,you can find it here.

http://www.vyznamenani.net/?page_id=16

A, The Star of the 1st Grade

In the photo is the 1st Grade of the order,made from silver in Spink &Son.It has gold plated swords and the letters For victory-Za víťezství.Dimensions 56mm,weight 39,5gr.I do not have any information about the number of awarded persons,but I think,it was not big.E.g.100?

bla.jpg

blk.jpg

blre.jpg

B, The  Star of  the 2nd  Grade.

In the photo we can see the Star of the 2nd Grade,production Karnet a Kysely.We can read it in the reverse.Dimensions 55mm,weight 38,8gr.

It is also a high award.The number of persons?I do not know?200?

img404.jpg

img405.jpg

C,The Cross of the 3rd Grade.

In the photo we can see the cross ,production Spink & Son.Dimension 52mm,made from silver.

4018135201_4.jpg

4018135201.jpg

4018135201_1.jpg

D, The Gold Medal of the 4th Grade

The medal is from silver,mark 800,mark K/Kremnica Mint,pozlaceno/gold plated.Diameter 26mm.

fc0154.jpg

rb5.jpg

E,Silver Medal of the 5th Grade.

The medal is from silver ,mark 800,Kremnica Mint.

I am happy to finish the topic.I was made to brush up a little of my English,and I think some users of the forum will get some more information about the Czechoslovak awards of  period of the WW2.

4050020957.jpg

4050020957_1.jpg

On 2. 9. 2017 at 12:46, nickstrenk said:

13.Czechoslovak Military Order of the White Lion "For victory"

Instituted: 9 February 1945 in London.

Awarded: To Czech citizens and foreigners for military merit, either personal acts of bravery or leadership.

Grades: 5 (Star 1st Class, Star 2nd Class, Cross, Gold Medal and Silver Medal).

Finally I am in the end of my topic,only to finish my short talk about this highest military order.I am sorry,I do not have very much information about it,except of that I read in books or in internet.I have never had any certificates ,I have never bought the the awards from from the medalist or in the family.All my pieces of the order I bought in meeting of collectors,so I do not if they were given or they were not awarded,i.e.storage pieces.

The author of the project was plk.or Colonel Václav Havlovský.The first versions were made by the firm Spink&Son.Next versions were of the Prague Firm Karnet a Kysely.Now I an going to show the pieces from my collection.Who wants to get some more information about this award,you can find it here.

http://www.vyznamenani.net/?page_id=16

A, The Star of the 1st Grade

In the photo is the 1st Grade of the order,made from silver in Spink &Son.It has gold plated swords and the letters For victory-Za víťezství.Dimensions 56mm,weight 39,5gr.I do not have any information about the number of awarded persons,but I think,it was not big.E.g.100?

bla.jpg

blk.jpg

blre.jpg

B, The  Star of  the 2nd  Grade.

In the photo we can see the Star of the 2nd Grade,production Karnet a Kysely.We can read it in the reverse.Dimensions 55mm,weight 38,8gr.

It is also a high award.The number of persons?I do not know?200?

img404.jpg

img405.jpg

C,The Cross of the 3rd Grade.

In the photo we can see the cross ,production Spink & Son.Dimension 52mm,made from silver.

4018135201_4.jpg

4018135201.jpg

4018135201_1.jpg

D, The Gold Medal of the 4th Grade

The medal is from silver,mark 800,mark K/Kremnica Mint,pozlaceno/gold plated.Diameter 26mm.

fc0154.jpg

rb5.jpg

I saw in one Russian Forum the certificate issued in November 1948,it had the number 234.It means about 250 awards of the 1 st Grade were bestowed.I did not ask the permission to publish his scan,so I can not to show the photo.