News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian armored car - What model?

I've seen this image on the internet and reminded me about armored vehicles were used by both sides during the battle of Mărăști, Mărășești and Oituz. What model is this armored car? Is it captured, received during the French Military Mission or from other source? Thank you very much!

c40de097bdb53589d6e2ef89522549a6.jpg

Thank you very much! After a more detailed research, I found out that this is is indeed an Austin armoured car. It belongs to the third series, only one of these serving in the Romanian army during the war. Were there any other models used? I don't think there was only one armoured car in the army, probably were some other models too.

Morar Andrei : To me its is not an Austin . yes i know its registered that the Romanian Army used one Austin 3rd series . but the body of the car pictured is not common .

The 3rd series Austin were twin turreted. all the Austin Putilovs too . the car pictured shows one turret and centrally placed .

Actually, I found out that this is a Hotchkiss Izhorsky armored car. Only two have been produced by the russians, both of them being captured in the summer of 1917 by the german army. One of them survived until 1919 and was used on the streets of Munich by the Freikorps. But how did it get before on romanian hands?

Hotchkiss-Izhorsky-Armored-Car-Freikorps-1919_zps5j9euwoa.jpg

ac_izhora_ger_2_zpsla4o33pi.jpg

59de0aad85697_HotchkissIzhorskyArmouredCar.png.05b2adea00a81fb3452e007cf838d31a.png

Hello!

I can confirm!!! So I was wrong in my first opinions!

I just recieved the book "Panzer-Kraftwagen" (Tankograd N°1007), in which I found exactly your initial photo!

It is described as:

"One of the two 60hp Izhorski-Hotchkiss vehicles captured near Wilna in August 1915. This was the one later to become Lotta" in Freikorps service, and it is here under repair. It bears the inscription "E.K.P.10 H.W.1" (Etappen-Kraftwagen-Park 10, Hilfs-Werkstatt 1), denoting the support workshop of the Motor Transport Depot of the 10th Army. Note the straight alignment of the upper armour plate on the bonnet side"

Thank you! But only one thing makes me think a bit: if the vehicle in the initial image is the future "Lotta", captured at Wilna, why does it have a romanian mention in the description, which translated in English would be "A recently captured Romanian armoured car before repair"/" Ein kurßlich erbeutetes rumänisches Panzer-Automobil vor der Reparatur" ? Is this the other vehicle?

With your permission : In every war , the propaganda ,was very active and sometimes ,war journalists or inclusive the officers dealing with the public information incurred in suspicious practics , perhaps the two cars were captured near Wilna but a year or more later one reappeared as a capture in the Romanian front . The Germans used in the Romanian front with good results their own armoured cars .only three , a Erhardt ,a Daimler and a Bussing .

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    On 04/10/2017 at 17:27, Morar Andrei said:

I've seen this image on the internet and reminded me about armored vehicles were used by both sides during the battle of Mărăști, Mărășești and Oituz. What model is this armored car? Is it captured, received during the French Military Mission or from other source? Thank you very much!

c40de097bdb53589d6e2ef89522549a6.jpg

Hi, the picture on the top is a Mgebrov - White  armored car. The Romanian haved from France or Russia.

The numbers are unknown and doesn't exist a evidence in Romanian military archives. But a british source '' War Savings vol 2 ''  confirmed that between 1916 -1918 Romania haved 28 French armored vehicles, Renault & Mgebrov.. We know for sertently that Romanian Army haved 18 x  Pegeot Am ( 8mm hotcakes mg). This result that another 10 must be the Mgebrov - White. Russia bot the French licence, but after 43 armored cars closed the production. For the records the French bot the licence from USA ( White armored car company).