News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Epp Badges

Hi,

I am interested in picking up one of the sleeve diamonds with the lion disk in the middle.

I have my eye on seperate disks, and was able to examine 2 others on the black diamond.

Here is my question... how can one tell if the black background is original? What is the correct size top to bottom and left to right of the diamond? I assume there are variations? I assume there are also differences in cloth?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

20 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

There was no one distinct size and you find widely varying shapes from elongated diamonds to square diamonds. In terms of material, there are diamonds in black velvet and black wool. When worn as a tradition badge by the SA, you also find light blue and red diamonds.

I believe the elongated plain, black diamonds are the most official version.

Here are two I own. As you can see, there are quite different. The smaller square diamond has the green cord the denoting an original volunteer from March 1919 when the Freikorps was formed in Ohrdruf.

The larger elongated diamond is black velvet and is 9 x 5.5 cm. The smaller square one with green cord is black wool and is 6.2 x 5.7 cm.

MyvonEppSMcomp2sm.thumb.jpg.19d14e7e4cbac696b1bb60431dfdb35f.jpgeppOhrdrufvolunteersm.thumb.jpg.1b272e123aa1ffe87cdac503b2b598ba.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

57 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Hi,

thanks for the info. IMHO the Epp badge is a classic, one of the nicest sleeve insignia I know of.

Were there badges with different color piping?

Best

Chris

As mentioned, the green piping denoted an original volunteer. There was also green/gold twisted piping for original officer volunteers and gold piping for other officers who were not original volunteers. The piping was added when Freikorps Epp became Reichswehr Brigade 21 in the Übergangsheer.

FYI, the elongated badge I showed came with photos (one shown) and the Militärpass of Unteroffizier Wilhelm Forch who served in Königlich Bayerisches 1. Infanterie-Regiment „König“ during the war and then after was in Bayerisches Schützenkorps/Freikorps Epp through to service in the Reichswehr.

Edited by bolewts58