News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased Luftschutz 2nd Class

Hi all,

I'd hoped to post this one last night but just plain ran out of steam. Now I'm rested, just finished lunch and figured I'd jump in and tackle this and a few more.

I've had this one for about twenty years like much of my TR material. I've never seen another one pop up with the case and my understand is that the cases don't turn up that often. Sadly the material in the back where the top joins the bottom is losing it's battle with age. It's getting to the point where I'm contemplating a repair but I don't want to run into it... I'd want to make sure it was done right.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

At least in "the day" it was a rather plain common medal but I've always liked it. And IMHOP all awards are taken to the next level by being cased.

Has anyone ever found a case for a 1st class Luftschutz I wonder? :rolleyes: Sure would love to see one.

Dan :cheers:

I don't think these are that rare, simply maybe not very popular with collectors...Here's mine anyway. This is the heavy type.

Hi Terry,

Very nice indeed! A sharp example and in much better shape than mine. Me likee! :love:

Come on folks... pull out those cameras and show us some more! And the prize goes to anyone who can come up with an original cased first class!!!! :jumping::jumping::D

Thanks for sharing Terry... veeeeeeeery nice! :cheers:

Dan

R.Lumsden's book "Medals and decorations of Hitler's Germany" states that less than 200 of the 1st class were awarded.....I know forum member Warlord has a few of these but I have never seen a cased one.

Angolia's Fuhrer and Fatherland 2nd ed. makes no mention of a case or number of awards and neither does Littlejohn's "Orders Decorations Medals and Badges of the 3rd Reich".

Edited by TerryG

R.Lumsden's book "Medals and decorations of Hitler's Germany" states that less than 200 of the 1st class were awarded.....I know forum member Warlord has a few of these but I have never seen a cased one.

Angolia's Fuhrer and Fatherland 2nd ed. makes no mention of a case or number of awards and neither does Littlejohn's "Orders Decorations Medals and Badges of the 3rd Reich".

Hi Terry,

Actually I think Jack does mention in FF&F that none have ever been discovered so no one knows what one looked like if it did indeed exist. And knowing the Germans penchant for liking to make fancy looking cases for most of their awards... the higher the award level the fancier or better the case... I can't believe something like that would not have had one made for it. But I suppose it's possible.

But I can only hope (dream) that someday I'm the one who makes the big "find". :rolleyes::D

Dan :cheers: