News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1788 light cavlry troopers sabre

Hello Dansson,

I believe you indeed have a Pattern 1788 British Light Cavalry Sabre, so basically the Pattern just before the 1796 Light Cavalry, as you probably already know.  The P. 1788  has a scabbard with two scabbard suspension rings which is the same scabbard as the 1796. That is not to say that this is the wrong scabbard but it is not the typical design as far as the rings are concerned however the scabbard shoe, also called the drag, differs from the typical 1788 and 1796.  My guess is that this cold either be the wrong scabbard or the sword and scabbard were used by a different country other than British.   Any marker's marks visible?  An excellent find, congratulations.

Regards

Brian

Thank you for the comment!
    I heard someone hinting it could be a saxon one as well? I'll check for markings. The sword fits in the scabbard like a fist in the eye. The scabbard even has for those "spikes(?)" vertically with the blade a place (see photo).

Edit: It has a mark behind one of these spikes on the root of the blade, S&K.

Edited by Dansson

The spikes are called "langets" and I believe it helped to keep water rain out of the scabbard.  I have read that they may have been used to break the opponents blade but I think that very doubtful. 

German made blades are not all that rare on British swords as many of the better quality blades came from Germany at this time.  The British Royal family was German during this period and some German states were allied with Britain and the Dutch during the Napoleonic Wars.   I would not presume to rule out a Saxon or other German state connection, all of my books dealing with the Light Cavalry Sabre of this era covers only the 1796 and variations.  No mention of the 1788, which this definitely is.  If I find out anything further I be sure to let you know, though at this time my "money" is on it being British.

I hope other members will wade in on this question.

Regards

Brian

Thank you. You have been great help!

You wouldn't happen to know the ballpark price for this sabre? I found from the internet so far just gilt and/or engraved officer models which are considerably more expensive than this "troopers" model.

That's a tricky question as prices vary greatly from country to country and even from dealer to dealer; auction prices realised are all over the board so I won't even try to guess about those "houses of craziness". 

Here in Canada I would expect to pay in the range of $800. to $1,000. (maybe as high as $1,200) from the dealers from whom I purchase my swords.  Your sword has some "issues" especially concerning the missing wire wrap on the grip but I would not see that as affecting what I would expect this to sell for here.  The scabbard having only one ring is still acceptable, in my opinion.  From what I have seen on the Internet British prices might well be higher. 

I hope that helps.

Regards

Brian