News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need opinion on SA buckle please

Hi all,

Okay, I'm considering letting this old girl go in order to boost me ahead in my quest to purchase a copy of Paul McDaniel's Soviet Orders & Medals reference. Been waiting patiently... well, sometimes, since it was originally published... been seriously waiting since October when I sold some TR stuff to do it... got sucked up in household, etc., and now I'm really, seriously tired of waiting.

UPDATE: Well, she's been a good friend all these years but now she's going to be heading to a new home. I love her :love::love: but time to let someone else enjoy her company. :beer:

Have had this forever and a day... well over twenty years. Never collected SA per se, just liked the design of the buckle. But did a google search a couple days ago and looks like the prices are up there where it may do me more good finding a new home.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And since I never specialized... I saw on the google search one referred to as an early type 1... looked identical to mine except had some kind of tarnish spots all over the front whereas mine seems to be a fairly clean, crisp example.

So... if some of you Gentlemen :cheers: would be so kind as to take a quick peek, give your opinions and any info you think might help and especially if you could give me a fairly good idea of what to charge? I want to charge a fair price but can use all I can get out of it if I sell.

And even though I sort of having a friend who hangs in the background drooling and wanting my stuff... if there is anyone here who is intro'd please let me know and perhaps we can work something out.

Hope to hear back something soon if possible as I'm now having dreams of "the book" and if I don't get it soon I think I'll end up in the funny farm!

Many, many thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Come on folks... someone must have some opinions, info, pricing, etc. they can pass on. :D

Really am on the verge of wanting to let this one go but want to give the correct info to any potential buyers as well as a "proper" price for it.

Any help is most welcome either here or via PM or email. Feel free any or all.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hi Don,

Many thanks. I've posted it over there as well so hoping someone might get back with me on it. I just would hate to have to depend on my own estimate, etc. on google and then end up being wrong. Want to be sure and on firm ground.

Just hoping something happens soon as I'm dying to get a buyer and be able to get my book.

Many thanks,

Dan

I enquired on your behalf regarding a current price for one of these, he estimates about ?50-?55 for one here in the UK.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Don

Hi Don,

First off, many thanks for all your posts, sharing the terrific pics and especially help with the pricing. So just short of $100... not too shabby.

But I can't get that one ad I saw out of my mind... here's a link (hope this is okay):

http://www.ww2germanmilitaria.com/belts_buckles_n.htm

Seems the same as mine except all that "stuff" on the face of it.

I mean, I don't have a set price in mind yet, but in my position financially right now I want to get the best price I can without skinning someone alive. Want to be fair but certainly don't want to sell it for $$ then find out later it was actually worth $$$$. Seems to be the way my luck runs. Just want a fair price so the buyer and myself are both happy with the deal. I'm in the same boat with any of this stuff I ever sell.

Plus, I loath money... I mean it's nice to have but as they say it's the root of all evil. The most fun I've ever had is in trades... seems like everyone generally comes out happy in trades whereas with money, the guy that forks it over "always" seems to feel he overpaid and the one who gets it for his goodies always feels he got underpaid. Sigh.

Just not one of my most enjoyable things... dealing in money. Shoot, if someone had a used McDaniel book and perhaps an extra goodie(s) they'd throw in that would work just as well. But seems once those books are bought they stay bought if you know what I mean. I've heard tales of folks getting them for $50 on Ebay on occassion... well, I've only seen two listed in the recent past, and believe me, I look! Both went for what I can get them for new. If I'm gonna pay that I'll wait and get the new one... it's the waiting part that's killing me!

Sigh.

Oh well, on to other replies. Again thanks for the info. Let me know what you think on that other one compared with mine and if the price sounds nuts or what? I'm like thinking if "that" with all those marks is $130 and mine is the same mines got to be worth a bit more for being as clean as it is. But if I'm wrong in that line of thought I need to know. And granted I checked a few English sites and sure enough they're running what you said... but again no idea on the types, variations, etc. Am flying blind.

Well, off to the batmobile. :D

Dan

Hi Don,

No, that's just it... I don't really. If the majority of folks on here said $50 then that's what it would be. I simply don't know what 95% of my stuff is worth anymore. Was out of the loop for far far too long.

I just feel handicapped especially since things have gone up so far since I got them. Something I may have paid $10 for then could be worth $250 now and I wouldn't know it. I'd really feel the fool if I put it out for say, $15 and then found out it was the higher figure.

I mean I recently sold some TR pieces and I'm still not positive if I did okay or not. But that's like spilt milk if it's the case and I can't worry about it now. Just trying to get on a good footing from here on in.

And from my experience unless one is going to and participating in shows, auctions, and collector to collector dealing then it's very hard to really know what things are worth. I used to do all that but then dropped off the radar from the late 80's on due to where we moved. And now I'm even more isolated... were it not for the net and this fine forum.

Believe me, I deeply appreciate all the advice and such ya'll are willing/able to provide. And anytime I can also be of help I'll jump right in. That's the beauty of this club. Ya'll are terrific and I'm just happy to be able to be here among such esteemed and knowleable collectors and historians.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

These are some nice early SA belt buckle examples, I am in the process of acquring one myself ;) I enjoy the insignias and buckles as much as the official pieces, I guess everyone has a niche.

Again, great pieces,

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give a scan for the newly located buckle now at home here in Canada. Thanks Dan for parting with her, she's in a good home now ;) Here are the new scans of this nice buckle.

Later,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Putting more of my poor little pics to shame again I see. :P:lol: Great scans... so detailed... love it... why did I let it go? Just kidding! :lol::beer: I'm glad she's in a new home where she'll be loved all the more. :D You'll just have to get some more nice SA pieces to put with her... perhaps a dagger.

Just remember, check with the gang first to avoid any more baddies out there. :D

Dan :cheers: