News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My General Assault Badge

This is what is known as to be a Wernstein made GAB, however there is some deliberation on going as to if this maker mark is attributed to this maker.

It's one of several pin styles for the Wernstein set up on the reverse and is deemed 'semi' desirable in the sense it has the short pin and catch placement in the middle.......it's not so common of this more commonly encountered maker, you can pick them up certainly more than most and it's more than possible to find this version, but not so often as it were.

It's original what counts and a nice example you have.

Kr

Marcus

On your example you can clearly see whats associated with this maker as the 'boobs' hinge, (some call it that and in my low taste diction it's the best I can do for now ;) ) on my short pin version I have a more generic sorts also found on this maker.

Here we both have the round pin, both of mine are steel where as yours is brass, this would indicate in some realms of thought an 'earlier' made example, I'm more of the thought that it was possible yeah, but more likely a 'make do and mend scenario' of metals and hinge to hand used during a period perhaps ?

This pic illustrates long and short pin though for you.

Hi Marcus,

Wow... I'm just getting all kinds of good feedback on everything today! :jumping::D Needless to say I'm a very happy camper. And getting an education to boot. I'm learning about stuff that's basically just been sitting in cases or on shelves all these years.

Many thanks! :cheers:

Any notion on value? This is my one big handicap... I simply was out of the loop far too long and I've no idea on what the majority of my stuff is worth. Shoot, I couldn't even tell you how many things I have. I just kept adding to the pile over time.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

Value: around the 70-80 mark in euro I would imagine, I'm just back from Stuttgart and the odd few I noted were around this price in your condition for this maker and the variant, perhaps the higher end of the estimate.

That all being said, there are others far more conversant on the prices and mine is an estimation not gospel. So please wait out for other to respond too.

Good luck with the rest of the collection, I'll keep my eye out and help if possible :cheers:

Kr

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I deeply appreciate this. And many thanks in advance for any other help, pricing wise or otherwise you're able/willing to provide. Again I just feel so handicapped not knowing what this stuff is worth.

I'm going to post a few things I no longer have just to see if I can at least get a rough idea if I did okay or perhaps even over charged. I mean the buyer seemed extremely pleased so at least that's no sweat. Anyhow keep an eye out for my posts and any that you see that you can comment on it would be most appreciated.

Thanks so much! :cheers:

Dan

"boob" hinge :lol: , you are a trip Marcus. I usually call it a lily pad but I think I like your term better. Either way a great GAB and as Marcus said a less common variant of this more common maker. I would tend to agree with Marcus on the estimated value, somewhere between 70-80 Euro sounding about right.

Hi all,

Just blew my mind... I finally went down in the bunker and dug out my old record book I kept for a time before it got to be too much trouble.

Amongst other things... I saw that I paid the princely sum of... now wait, are ya'll sitting down... don't want you to faint and hurt yourselves... perhaps I shouldn't tell. No can't be that cruel...

drumroll please... (sound of drums)

I paid...

Perhaps I should do several posts and stretch this out... LOL!

I paid... all of... $12 U.S. for this one!!!! :rolleyes::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Oh how I wish those days would return again! I nearly gave myself a heart attack reading that book... probably one reason I've avoided doing it for so long. WWII Black wounds for $6, a WWI cutout for $5, silvers for $17 to $20!

Feel free to faint any time... I've already done so and have it out of my system.

Somehow, I have a feeling, that if "anyone" ever invents a time machine, it's going to be a militaria collector!!!! We could simply clean up!

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 4 months later...

Here is part two of my package I received from Dan yesterday, this Wernstein? GAB. I am very pleased with the condition and maker of this badge, and she's another happy immigrant to Canada and my collection. I took some new scans to set Dan's mind at ease that it arrived safely :cheeky: Thanks again for parting with this one Dan, and like the Aux, it is in a good home!

Cheers,

Pat