News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian Red Eagle classes - transitions

I have a question for you experts in German Imperial awards.

I'm researching a guy (German civilian) who was awarded the Prussian Red Eagle order 3. class with bow followed by 2. class with oakleaves.

Not an expert on German Imperial orders, but I seem to have read on this forum that there were specific 'rules' when transitioning through classes (like the "if you were awarded class x with device Y, the next one up would be class A with device B" sort of thing)...?

His 2 awards were at least 7 years apart (if the rules apply to awards for seniority).

Would the move from 3. class with bow to 2. class with oakleaves be such a 'standard' transition?

Thanks.

Edited by Great Dane

The bow indicates, (1) that the Person wearing the 3rd class was awarded the 4th class of the Red Eagle Order before and (2) that he is a Prussian subject.

The Oakleaves indicate (1) that the Person wearing this order was awarded all lower classes of the Red Eagle Order before and (2) that he is a Prussian subject.

Regards, Komtur.

His name is Hucke.

I don't know his first name... it is never mentioned in any of the official records where I found him (including Handbuch für das Deutsche Reich 1874 to 1890).

He ended up as   "Wirchlicher Geheimer Ober-Regierungs-Rath" and worked in the Reich-Postamt (before then the Post- und Telegraphen Verwaltung).

He probably died around 1900.

If you can find him, that would be awesome.

Hucke got the 4th class in 1868. Unfortunately these early editions of the Ordens-Listen did not mention the exact date of the awards.

Regards, Komtur.

img618.jpg

img619.jpg

Edited by Komtur