News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Agreed, Ed, except that the most popular vibrant area in collecting militaria bar none is 3rd Reich German....despite the snake pit that it is for collectors.

This may be true (may be true) in the US, but is it true globally? And do you mean militaria as a whole or medals? I wonder . . . . The last OMSA convention I attended surely didn't relfect this. (And I don't include things like MAX/SOS that are, almost by definition, Nazi stuff wall-to-wall.)

No way to know, but interesting questions to ponder anyway.

:beer:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

"Imagine if EVERY Hindenburg Cross or EK2 could tell its story.."

Oh, I does my best:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7335

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7272

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7116

f'rinstance.

There IS literally something for everyone, at all price ranges--and that is particularly true of documented groups.

Here's another fresh up today:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7519

Yup, just a typical "invisible" noncommissioned officer... his awards WOULD be meaningless without that paperwork, and best of all for research fans, the photos.

BTW, I'd have to agree after 40 years of observation that Third Reich = 90% of all collecting...

:beer: the 10%

BTW, I'd have to agree after 40 years of observation that Third Reich = 90% of all collecting...

:beer: the 10%

Funny, after 40 years of observation and collecting (OMSA #1299), I'd put the Nazi stuff at closer to 30%.

But, I agree, :beer: the 70% (or whatever%).

Might be worth seeing what percentage of OMSA members show Nazi-era stuff as an interest. Will see if the secretary can dump that sort of data our way. Can't recall the last Nazi-era article in the JOMSA. But, then, someone would say, "Oh, the OMSA does not represent the collecting universe." And what does, a SOS gathering?

Guest Rick Research

" 'Oh, the OMSA does not represent the collecting universe.' And what does, a SOS gathering?"

True. Yes. BOTH are "destinations" and not the grim reality of daily collecting-gathering. :P:beer:

But we have, somehow, gotten way, way :off topic: on a medal group that deserves discussion. Two threads' worth, in fact. :P

Spoken like a gentleman...and I consider the delightful (and sometime enfuriating) eccentrics at OMSA and OMRS to be one of the few largely Nazifrei groups out there.

Digging through my files I came up with the only other picture of Linnarz I've ever seen, a photocopy of an original held (tightly) by a German paper collector who wouldn't trade it for Charlemagne's sceptre.

Taken sometime in 1916, it is of the crew of LZ 97, the last Zepp both my man Volkmann and Linnarz served in together.

Look at Linnarz, evidently a real fashion plate! :cool:

He is unmistakable in the center of his men, dressed in beautiful leathers, with his decorations festooned on the outside--EK, Observer's badge and, Rick, he already has quite a rack on him. Volkmann is the second standing figure from the left. I suppose this was on the occasion of an EK2 investiture, which means my man Volkmann didn't get anything for attacking London either until much later.

IPB Image

That's a great photo John... any chance of a zoom-in on Linnarz?

The res flys apart. As a photo of a photocopy there is zero detail. I'm trying to talk my friend out of his photo again :banger: or into a better copy to share...

Should we take up a collection . . . ???

Would you believe I was going to propose that myself? But with this collector it's not a matter of money...

Any one out there have, let's see...

nails from the True Cross

the lance that pierced our Lord's side

any Bonaparte body parts

LARGE fabric sections from the Hindenburg

stuff like that...only if it's surplus to your collection...and you were thinking of putting the stuff on eBay

:speechless: Or maybe someone out there is a licensed therapist and can donate some couch time? :speechless:

Would you believe I was going to propose that myself? But with this collector it's not a matter of money...

Would someone that only has a foist name like Guido, wit a heavy New Joi'see accent, calling the collector in the oily hours'da'moining making him an offah he can't refuse woik? Oh...and during the phone call, the theme song from "The Godfather" could be heard in the background.

That might work..... or it's time to arragne for the delivery of a equine cephalus to the dear fellow's "chambre de nuit".....

java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:', 'smid_21')

:rolleyes:

Luigi...er...uh, Les

Edited by Les

• 8 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Here's another previously missing piece of the puzzle--

Linnarz's Saxe-Meiningen War Merit Cross ("SMK") was one of a batch of multiple pages full processed on 22 October 1915:

I didn't copy the facing page because it simply carries over " for the date down the page and the "Akten" file numbers, so no useful data there.

Note fellow airshipper Brandeis a few lines up. These mass-date awards are always a jumble of completely unrelated recipients lumped together when they finally got processed.

Also listed as Commander of "LZ 38," Linnarz shows on the Saxe-Weimar roll for his White Falcon-Knight 2nd X ("SWF3bX") as 108th Prussian in 1915.

WOW! :jumping: Great work, Rick. Thanks for the citations and image...only 11 more to go (incl. EK1)!! :jumping:

Rgds

John

PS Ray Rimell and Windsock just put out a new Datafile featuring LZ38 among a few others with some great photos from the "Linnarz Album"! Great read.

MVC-070S-1.jpg

Here is LZ 38 with its Iron Cross painted under the bow...

MVC-072S.jpg

Here is the "First London Crew" with Linnarz the tallest with goggles. The caption says to note the sandbag ballast lashed to the handrails, the rippling of the celluloid windows, and the canvas of the control gondolas upper section stiffened by duralumin ribs below.

MVC-074S.jpg

Edited by Luftmensch

• 3 months later...

Something I just read in Rimmel's new book on Zeps. Are people familiar with Felix Schwormstadt's great illustrations of a Zeppelin crew in action, printed in the Leipziger Illustrierte Zeitung in 1917 and also in English publications after the war? They are widely reproduced in books today.

Apparently Felix used Linnarz and the crew of LZ 38 for his models!

Check the resemblance...

MVC-015S-1.jpg

MVC-023S.jpg

MVC-019S-1.jpg

Edited by Luftmensch