News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pensions coupled with orders of decoration?

I was reading in my books that recipients of orders in Russia and in Austria were entitled to a stipend or pension annually under the old system and I started wondering if certain German states or other nations during the old imperial era also were accorded pensions that were coupled with selection for certain orders of decoration? 

With old Russia and perhaps Austria, there were front end entrance fees as well but at least they received monetary pensions for many years as part of their "award."

David 

Hello ,Iam not certain if in Imperial Germany or Austria Hungary existed decorations with a monetary stipendium anexed but i can said that in many cases the Monarch added to the award a money donation . The Prussian Kings were very generous with the generals and high officials which served well . Emperor Francis Joseph was also a grateful monarch . In Great Britain after WW1 Sir Douglas Haig received apart of the honours a metallic donation of 100 thousand pounds . In Germany It was called Dotation ,Crown Dotation and could be in metallic or Land , curiously during the Weimar Republic and during the III rd Reich the System was mantained , Hitler was very generous with his followers or persons who desires to flatter

OTOH, I think you'll find that Haig's very generous pension was not typical.

Just found this!  "Honours and Decoration For Which the RN and Royal Marines are Eligible  

June 1957

THE VICTORIA CROSS

1. The Victoria Cross may be awarded to officers and Men of the Royal Navy, or of the Royal Marines, for " most conspicuous bravery or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy on land or at sea."

Chief Petty Officers, Petty Officers and Men of the Royal Navy, and Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the Royal Marines are awarded concurrently with the award of the decoration, an annuity of £10 a year. plus *6d. a day (£9 2s. a year) addition to pension.

For each bar, an additional annuity of £5 is awarded.

This annuity (together with any other pension from public funds) may be increased to £75 a year in all cases of need due to age or infirmity.

Petty Officers and Men of the Royal Navy and Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the Royal Marines who have been awarded  [the Distinguished Service Medal] are eligible for the award of 6d a day (£9 2s a year) addition to pension, or a gratuity of £20 on discharge without pension, transfer to Reserve, or appointment to a Commission.

For each Bar an additional gratuity of £20.

The monetary grants to those Naval Ratings and Royal Marine other Ranks who may be awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, the Military Medal or the Distinguished Flying Medal are the same as for the Distinguished Service Medal

Peter, Sir Douglas thanks to Mr Ll oyd George received an Earldom and the financial reward of 100 thousand pounds ,but not was the only . Sir John Jellicoe was first made a viscount and later received an Earldom and the financial reward. 

Bayern

Both those awards and perhaps a few others were made, I suspect, in the post-War euphoria after 'The War to End Wars'.  And perhaps deserved, who knows.  Sixpence a day added to one's pension, plus ten pounds, for winning the VC, or L15 if you did it twice sounds more typical of the shall we say 'thrifty' British. ;)