News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

pensions connected with orders of decoration?

I was reading in my books that recipients of orders in Russia and in Austria were entitled to a stipend or pension annually under the old system and I started wondering if certain German states or other nations during the old imperial era also were accorded pensions that were coupled with selection for certain orders of decoration? 

With old Russia and perhaps Austria, there were front end entrance fees as well but at least they received monetary pensions for many years as part of their "award."

David 

That's a good question. I think it was an unofficial practice and often involved not only recipients of orders, but officers who, for instance, were getting married and perhaps needed a little financial help. I have a letter from FWIII of Prussia to a Leutnant, giving him a stipend to help his marriage.