News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gordon Highlanders - Beret Color info needed

I recently bought a Gordon Highland cap-badge and I'm looking for the correct beret to go with it. After browsing what feels like thousands of pictures I can't tell if the beret is blue or green since most images are in black and white. The Gordon tartan is dark blue and dark green and it seems that the proud Scotsmen would have chosen either the shade of green or blue of their tartan for their beret.

Is there someplace I can see a full color photo of the beret or is there a knowledgeable member that can enlighten me?

I've considered the heinous crime of using a local SADF beret and sticking the ''By Dand'' cap-badge on it but ultimately decided to try and make it as realistic as possible.

Hi Wessel,

I am not aware that they actually wore a beret as such.

They used the Tam o' shanter  which was khaki or the Glengarry in Dark Blue.

Here are a few pics i found for you of the Glengarry and tam o' shanter.

Regards Eddie

Glengarry.jpg

Glengarry 2.jpg

tam 1.jpg

Tam 2.jpg

Taz

Thanks a lot. That was the kind of info I was looking for.

As I intend to display my collection after we (eventually) moved which of the two would make the more striking display? On the last two images I can also see pieces of the Gordon tartan and since I'm planning to display my British collection on a Gordon tartan cloth that might be a good choice

Do you perhaps have any source where I can find either of these items?

Regards,

Wessel

Okay Wessel, my vote is the Glengarry. If you mount it in a box type frame, it can lay flat and be recognizable as a hat. The tam, once it’s smooshed flat will be unrecognizable. On a mannequin, either will look nice. Better yet, get another badge and display both hats. 
    Mike. 

On 06/11/2019 at 15:31, Wessel Gordon said:

Do you perhaps have any source where I can find either of these items?

Regards,

Wessel

Sorry Wessel none offhand, maybe someone else can help with that,

Regards Eddie

• 1 month later...

When the Gordon Highlanders and Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders were set to amalgamate in 1994, both regiments identified the items of uniform most important to their traditions. The Gordons declared their Glengarry with its band of dicing (the Camerons wore a plain blue Glengarry) so that was retained, with the blue feather of the Camerons.

The khaki ToS,  while in form a more traditional item of Scottish headgear, was only working dress, while the 'diced' blue Glengarry was firmly in the tradition of Scottish military uniform.

92nd (Gordon)  Highlanders, Edinburgh Castle, circa 1845

92nd Edinburgh 1843-47 i.jpg

tumblr_li8mzwaTw41qf9ov9o1_500.jpg

Edited by jf42
    typo