News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Armorer's tool

Doc

This is an old United States tool for working on US military firearms, but I can't find it in any of my reference books.  Help in identifying would be much appreciated.  It is 5 x 7 inches, and the handles are spring-loaded to keep them apart.  When they are squeezed, It seems to line up the two top pieces.  Only Markings are "US" and "OML", with a couple of "80" s as well. T hanks for any help in advance.

IMG_9580.JPG

DECAPPING AND CLEANING TOOL SET CIRCA 1907-1917  - This was used to decap fired cartridge cases and clean them to prevent deterioration. It was primarily for the .30-06 but it could also be used for the .30-40 Krag, .38 revolver, .45 revolver, and the Model 1911 .45 pistol. The box measures 9 1/4" long, 7 3/4" wide, 2 3/4" tall, and weighs about 3 pounds. A basic primer ejecting hand tool; a primer ejecting spindle with a cap (sort of a sizer); some wire primer ejecting pins, a small aluminum funnel; a bristle wiping brush and a brass wiping rod. The tool is a simplified version of a tool first introduced in 1882 for reloading .45-70 cartridges at the unit level. See pages 4-17-419 of Brophy’s M1903 book for more info on these. Photos show what is included and also shots of how the spindle fit in, and can be used to punch out primers. A neat accessory for any U.S. military arms circa 1900-1920.

20659.jpg

Nice... Thanks for the response.  I had not seen one of these before, and got it with a bunch of Carbine stuff, so I thought it was a tool for working on the carbine (disassembling the bolt, etc.)-- soon realised that was not the case.  I have not seen a full cased set like you have, and I now understand it better.  Thanks for taking the time to respond, and for the great pictures.  As an aside, what are the inspector's initials on yours?  Mine has "OML".  

• 9 months later...