News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

R.A.O.B. - Jewels from the Middle East

oamotme

Gentlemen,

A further Dhofar 9721 Lodge jewel - this one to commemorate its 200th meeting:

Obverse "Dhofar 9721 / 200th Meeting 12-12-73"

Reverse "Silver" on the Omani state badge of crossed sword and dagger.

The ribbon is in the Omani flag colours of green, red and white.

The Dhofar rebellion was over in 1975 and assuming the Lodge met in at the RAF base in Salalah - the capital of Dhofar Governate, the jewel would indicate that the Lodge met throughout the war. 

Regards,

Owain,

RAOB Dhofar 200th Obverse.jpg

RAOB Dhofar 200th Reverse.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Yet another - this time a generic 'Services Rendered' jewel present by the Scorpion Lodge No. 8351 - see Lodge specific jewel earlier. The inscription on the reverse reads, 

"Presented to / Bro. / R. Finch K.O.M. / by the / Scorpion Lodge No. 8351 / For Services Rendered / 7th April 1972"

There is a Birmingham silver mark and the letter 'W being the date letter for 1971. The makers initials of 'F.C.P.' are for  the maker Parry of Birmingham.

Kind regards,

Owain

RAOB Scorpion Services Obverse.jpg

RAOB Scorpion Services Reverse.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

Two further generic RAOB jewels to, in this instance, Oman based RAOB lodges:

Jewel A

• Top bar - Dhofar Lodge 9721
    • Obverse - Services Rendered
    • Reverse (obscured by glue) - Presented to / Bro / Ducky Davies / KOM / For Services / Rendered / 1979
    • Maker - Parry B'ham

Jewel B

• Top bar - Sultanate of Oman No. 1
    • Lower bar - Knights Chapter No. 307
    • Obverse - Royal Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes / Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sabit 
    • Reverse - Mark of FC Parry of Birmingham - silver gilt & date mark 'H' - 1982

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Dhofar Services Rendered Obverse.jpg

RAOB Dhofar Services Rendered Reverse.jpg

RAOB Oman Knights Chapter Obverse.jpg

RAOB Oman Knights Chapter Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

This time a more detailed image of an already seen Omani based RAOB Lodge:

• Top bar - RAOB
    • Obverse - Andrew 9898 Grainger
    • Reverse - Plain other than the makers mark - Parry B'Ham

As of writing I have no detail as to who Andrew Grainger is or was.

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Oman Grainger Obverse.jpg

RAOB Oman Grainger Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Finally for today another example of a RAOB Iraq jewel - this time of a standard early generic format - see India and Sudan jewels previously illustrated - of gilt metal of excellent quality:

Obverse - Royal Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes / S.T.B. / Iraq (I am unaware as to what STB stands for)

Reverse - Bro. F. Crayton / Member Of The / R.A.O.B., G.L.E. / In Iraq (The name has been engraved) & Maker's name - L. Simpson & Co. / 56 York Road / King's Cross N1

In addition the box which the medal came in which is detailed - Telephone : North 0864 / L. Simpson & Co., / Masonic & Buffalo Jewellers, / Battle bridge Works / 56. York Road, King's Cross, / London, N.1.

Finally the accompanying certificate of membership which notes that, "This is to Certify that Brother Fred Crayton was initiated a member of the Royal Air Force Lodge No. 3705 in the Town of Uxbridge the 27th day of March 1925".

It is reasonable to infer that Fred Crayton was a member of the RAF and was thereafter posted to Iraq. From Wikipedia I detail below the history of RAF Uxbridge.

RAF Uxbridge was a Royal Air Force (RAF) station in Uxbridge, within the London Borough of Hillingdon, occupying a 44.6-hectare (110-acre). The British Government purchased the estate in 1915, three years before the founding of the RAF. The station is best known as the headquarters of No. 11 Group RAF, which was responsible for the aerial defence of London and the south-east of England during the Battle of Britain. A bunker, subsequently known as the Battle of Britain Bunker, was built nearby to house the 11 Group Operations Room, which controlled fighter squadrons operating within the group. The Operations Room was also responsible for providing air support during the evacuation of Dunkirk in May 1940 (Operation Dynamo) and the D-Day landings (Operation Overlord). It was here that Winston Churchill first said, "Never in the history of mankind has so much been owed by so many to so few", which he repeated in a speech to Parliament four days later. RAF Uxbridge closed on 31 March 2010 as part of a reduction in the number of Ministry of Defence installations in the Greater London area.

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Iraq Crayton Obverse.jpg

RAOB Iraq Crayton Reverse.jpg

RAOB Iraq Crayton Case.jpg

RAOB Iraq Crayton Certificate.jpg

• 7 months later...

Gentlemen,,

After a period of absence a 'new' sighting - this time a jewel from RAOB Lodge R.A.F. Bahrain No. 9302. The design is simple - a falcon (a local hunting bird) on a blue background (symbolic of the sea surrounding Bahrain or the sky above) and suspended from a red and white ribbon being the national colours of Bahrain. Reverse image not seen.

Regards,

Owain 

RAOB Selection Bahrain Detail.jpg

• 1 month later...

In a casual conversation, in a pub actually, someone mentioned the 'Water Buffaloes' and the others present, not being military historians, all recalled another organization which appropriated the name of this august organization.

And, I must confess, having watched 'The Flintstones' as a lad, here in Canada, I particularly loved the title of the leader of this lodge: The Grand Poobah.  That term had a certain currency among folks my age as a generic term. :)

https://flintstones.fandom.com/wiki/Loyal_Order_of_Water_Buffaloes

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

Further to my October 2021 post I have now obtained an example of the RAF Bahrain RAOB Jewel. (Obtained from, of all places, Poland!) The falcon rests upon a gauntleted hand. The reverse is blank other that the marks for Birmingham, silver, with the 'Q' date letter for 1965 - the manufacturer is FC Parry.

Regards,

Owain

P.S. From Wikipedia:-

The Royal Air Force's history with Bahrain can be traced back to 1924, with flights originating from Shaibah Air Base in Iraq. The perceived strategic importance of Bahrain by the British led to the signing of a civil air agreement with the King of Bahrain in 1934.

The Royal Air Force established a base there in the area as RAF Bahrain on 22 May 1943, as part of RAF Iraq Command. It was later renamed RAF Muharraq in 1963. The base was formally shut down on 15 December 1971. 

RAOB Bahrain Obverse.jpg

RAOB Bahrain Reverse.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Gentlemen,

This time a group including a Lawrence of Arabia No. 10516 jewel - the image is from  the Worthpoint auction search site. Sadly no other details, however it would appear that the group is all to the same person. The group includes 1st (Kangaroo), 2nd ( Certified Primo) & 3rd (Order of Merit) Degree jewels as well as the lodge specific jewel - Lawrence of Arabia. The VE-VJ day jewel is some manner of commemorative. I am unsure as to the nature of the OURS (On your fidelity rests their security) jewel - probably some manner of charity jewel. A quick search of the internet sheds no information on this Lodge - I suspect it has closed down and was based in Saudi Arabia at one of the British Aerospace bases.

Owain

RAOB Lawrence of Arabia Group Lodge 10516.jpg

Gentlemen,

Further to my post of 7 June 2020 where I posted an online image of the Iraqi based Palm Tree Lodge I now add an image of a later type of this jewel.

The jewels in this instance is a solid triangle format with the inscription, 'Iraq Palm Tree Lodge No. 6829'.

The upper clasp also reads, 'Palm Tree Lodge No. 6829'.

The lower clasp reads, 'CYPRUS'.

The reverse is bare other than the makers mark, 'Parry B'Ham'.

I would suggest that the Cyprus clasp indicates that this lodge, moved from Iraq to Cyprus following the overthrow of the Iraqi monarchy in 1958 and continued, for some time , to hold meetings there.

Owain

RAOB Iraq Palm Tree Lodge Cyprus Obverse.jpg

RAOB Iraq Palm Tree Lodge Cyprus Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Further to my post of July 2020 I have now obtained an example of the Bob Hunt jewel:

Obverse - 'Bob Hunt of Dhofar Lodge No. 9721'.

Reverse  - Plain other than makers mark 'Parry B'ham'.

As noted previously I have no idea as to who Bob Hunt was. The eagle suspension indicates that it was a RAF Lodge and probably based in Salalah - the main town/port of the Omani Governate of Dhofar Governate. The device (decal) on the ribbon appears to be a dog's head.

Regards

Owain

RAOB Oman Bob Hunt Dhofar Obverse.jpg

RAOB Oman Bob Hunt Dhofar Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Further to my post of 20th January 2021 the Lodge No. 9721 200th Anniversary jewel is for the Bob Hunt of Dhofar Lodge No. 9721 noted above - a nice pair - combined photo to follow in due course.

Owain 

Gentlemen,

Further to my post of 17 December 2020 I have obtained an example of the Sharaan Pride of Benghazi 8368 jewel. It is of hallmarked silver by FC Parry of Birmingham with a 'S' date letter for 1967.

To date no progress with the meaning or significance of the word Sharaan.

Owain

RAOB Benghazi Obverse.jpg

RAOB Benghazi Reverse.jpg

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

Further to my post of 25 June I detail below another Dhofar Bob Hunt Lodge No.10357 Jewel - in this instance the jewel bears the dog's head device. The piece is unmarked. 

Also illustrated is  another OURS (significance unknown) jewel - the reverse reads:

"Bro. H.J.Narraway Lawrence of Arabia  Lodge No.9850"

The makers mark is Parry of Birmingham.

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Dhofar Bob Hunt  10357 Obverse.jpg

RAOB Dhofar Bob Hunt 10357 Reverse.jpg

RAOB OURS Lawrence of Arabia Obverse.jpg

RAOB OURS Lawrence of Arabia Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Two further images - obverse only - taken from mixed lots on auctions sites :

"Sharaan Pride of Benghazi Lodge No 8368" - this disc has a picture of a building and "Benghazi 1952" - a different jewel to the other Sharaan jewel illustrated above - see post 4 July 2022 & 17 December 2020. 

A RAOB Korea Lodge No. 9648 jewel bearing the clasp "Twilight of Aden" - similar to that worn on the Aden Lodge jewel - see post 26 January 2020. Perhaps the recipient was based briefly at Aden during 1967?

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Lybia x 2 Obverse Detail.jpg

RAOB Twilight of Aden.jpg

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

Another UK auction UK offering - RAOB Lodge RAF Aboukir No.3739

Aboukir is on the Mediterranean coast of Egypt and the bay in the Nile Delta is known for a sea battle of 1798 when the British Navy, under Nelson, defeated the French navy.

The obverse depicts a seaside fort (at Aboukir?). The reverse is not seen.

The ribbon appears to be red, white & black - the colours of the Egyptian Republic flag. NB It appear that RAF Aboukir closed in 1947 - see Wikipedia entry below - and thus it may be that the RAOB Lodge was relocated either in Egypt or perhaps post 1952 Coup to Cyprus.

The device on the ribbon may be a stylised RAF Gloster Javelin aircraft.

Regards,

Owain

PS From Wikipedia: 

Royal Air Force Aboukir or more simply RAF Aboukir is a former Royal Air Force base located 6.6 miles (10.6 km) northwest of Kafr El-Dawar and 7.2 miles (11.6 km) east of Alexandria, Egypt. Between 1916 and 1947 a number of units and squadrons were based there, including the central depot for RAF Middle East until 12 November 1939.

RAOB Aboukir No 3739.jpg

Edited by oamotme

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

Another Egypt based jewel from Ismailia - Lodge No. 10179 - a British operated RAF base from about 1916 through to 1956. The jewel image is from E-Bay - sadly poor definition and no image of the reverse - manufacturer stated to be Parry of Birmingham.

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Ismailia Pendant Only Obverse Parry.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Further to my post of 7 June 2020 I have recently obtained a RAOB Bahrain Island Lodge No. 9167. Sadly it is not named nor marked. The pendant is nicely enamelled - the white & red colour scheme is a 'nod' to the national flag of Bahrain, whilst the palm trees are a generic symbol of the Arab world. I am unaware as to the significance of the green and yellow colours of the ribbon - perhaps green for the palm trees and yellow for sand?

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Bahrain Obverse.jpg

RAOB Bahrain Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Another internet image - of a pendant - obverse only - Sands of Arabia Lodge. The number is unclear but possibly 9962 - Arabian numerals have been used. From the depiction of the crescent, palm tree and crossed swords I would infer that this lodge was based in Saudi Arabia - no doubt on on of the British aerospace bases. I cannot make out what the 'pillar' to the right of the central disc is.

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Sands Of Arabia Pendant Obverse Detail.jpg

Edited by oamotme

Gentlemen,

This time a group of 6 jewels from the 1930s to a J.R. Marchant - almost certainly a member of the RAF. The group includes 1st (Kangaroo), 2nd ( Certified Primo) & some country specific jewels.

1st Kangaroo - standard format - obverse inscription "Ninak Lge. No.5201". Reverse inscription, "Presented to

Bro. J.R. Marchant. Initiated in the Ninak Lodge No. 5201 on the 24 July 1932". The jewel is of silver-gilt with hallmarks - for silver, Chester, date letter 'H' for 1933. Manufacturer's initials appear to be G.U. (George Unite).

2nd Certified Primo - standard format - obverse inscription, "Ninak Lge. No. 5201". Reverse inscription, "Presented to Bro. J.R. Marchant C.P. by the Ninak Lodge No. 5201 Certified on the 27 May 1934". The jewel is of silver-gilt with hallmarks - for silver, Chester, date letter 'J' for 1933. Manufacturer's initials appear to be G.U. (George Unite).

Egypt Jewel - with "Donor" clasp. Reverse reads, "Member of the Province of Egypt Bro. J.R. Marchant Ninak 5201". The jewel appears to be of gilded base metal with the makers mark, "Fattorini & Sons Bradford House Birmingham".

(A poorer quality example of this particular jewel has been previously posted.)

More to follow tomorrow.....

Owain

RAOC Marchant Group A Obverse.jpg

RAOC Marchant Group A Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

On receiving the jewels I thought Ninak was somewhere in the Middle East although the name did not sound familiar. A quIck online search revealed that Ninak was the name given to the RAF Airco DH 9A light bomber biplane - taken from the phonetic designation of Nine A. It saw service from 1918-1931 with five RAF Squadrons serving service in the Middle East. See  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH.9A . Further research will hopefully identify where the Ninak Lodge was established.

The other three jewels of the group are as follows:

Sudan - Obverse suspension, "Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes". Obverse jewel, "Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes Khartoum Sudan", with a central camel similar to the design of the badge of the Sudan Defence Force. Reverse - "Presented to Bro. J.R. Marchant By The Khartoum Temperance Lodge No. 8310".  Jewel is of gilded base metal with the makers name, "L. Simpson & Co.56 York Road King's Cross N1". The ribbon colours are those of the RAF. 

Palestine - Obverse suspension, "Palestine". Obverse jewel, "Province of Palestine", with a central castle or fort, no doubt representing a location in Palestine - perhaps Kerak Castle? Reverse - "Brabason Rees Lodge No. 6009 Bro. J.R. Marchant Member of the Palestine Province".  Jewel is of silvered base metal with the makers name, "Fattorini & Sons Bradford House Birmingham". 

Iraq - Obverse suspension, "Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes". Obverse jewel, "Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes S.T.B. Iraq", (S.T.B. is unknown) with a central design of a palm tree, a fort, and I think, the Great Arch at Ctesiphon. Reverse - "Bro. ----------Member of the RAOB, GLE in Iraq".  Jewel is of gilded base metal with the makers name, "L. Simpson & Co. King's Cross N1". The ribbon colours are the the Iraqi flag colours.

I will endeavour to track down Marchant's RAF career.

Kind regards,

Owain.

RAOC Marchant Group B Obverse.jpg

RAOC Marchant Group B Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Further details concerning the recipient - with many thanks to Jim Routledge.

He was John Richmond Marchant - born 18 Oct 1907.  His RAF number was 364189 & he enlisted as a Halton Apprentice (9th Entry) in September 1923.   Commissioned as a Pilot Officer in the Tech Eng Branch from the rank of Flt Sgt 19 Dec 1941 – London Gazette entries 5 May 1942, p.1973 & 2 June 1942, p. 2377.  (Why there are be two entries is unknown.)  He reached the rank of substantive Sqn Ldr 1 Jan 1949 & retiring 18 Oct 1956. He did not qualify for the British General Service Medal,  clasp "Northern Kurdistan", but did qualify for the Iraq Active Service Medal, clasp "Southern Kurdistan1930-31". His full medal entitlement would include a selection of WW2 medals (at least 1939/45 Star & Defence / War Medals) & probably a RAF LSGC medal. His record of service would provide more details. Whilst he was initiated a member of the Ninak Lodge in 1932, by this date the DH9As, after which the Lodge was named, had departed Iraq.

Regards,

Owain

• 3 months later...

Good Morning,

Further to my post of 17 December 2020, yesterday I purchased in a junk shop a jewel of the Aden Phoenix Lodge. Superb quality gilded silver - for £20 a good price for such workmanship. The Lodge specific jewel depicts a 'mountain'  on the obverse an allusion to the barren rocks of Aden and the phoenix is supposedly to have originated in Arabia. The crown, eagle and the ribbon colours are symbolic of the Royal Air Force.

Obverse - 'Aden Phoenix No. 8506'

Reverse - Plain other than the initials FGP for the manufacturer Parry. The hallmarks are Birmingham silver, 'E' for 1954.

Regards,

Owain

RAOB Aden Phoenix 8506 Obverse.jpg

RAOB Aden Phoenix 8506 Reverse.jpg

Gentlemen,

Further to my first post back in May 2020 I posted a couple of images of two RAOB Egypt jewels. I have recently obtained a nicer example of such a jewel awarded to Bro G.QW. Farquahar of the Concordia Lodge. The jewel is gilded base metal - no maker's mark.

Owain

RAOB Egypt Farquahar Obverse.jpg

RAOB Egypt Farquahar Reverse.jpg