News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Foreign Legion???????

The Prussian

Hello!

Can anyone help by ID the unit, please?

All cards are written with areas in Algeria. The pictures are written in german!

We see Victor Klein in Batna, El Kantara and dunes in Birska.

The man with the X is Victor Klein. The man on the right has a "3" upon the collar.

French Foreign Legion regiment 3 was formed in 1921 and was in French-Guyana.

Spahi regiment 3 was in Algeria, but the uniforms ar not Spahi...

French African Light Infantry 3 was in Tunisia.

In the french rank list of 1905 I found a René-Victor Klein in the military medic service. Could it be him?

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

https://www.feldgrau-forum.com/attachments/upload_2020-7-9_4-16-33-png.139075/

Victor Klein (1).jpg

Victor Klein (2).jpg

Victor Klein (3).jpg

Victor Klein (1).jpg

Victor Klein (2) - Kopie.jpg

Victor Klein (4) - Kopie.jpg

Victor Klein (5) - Kopie.jpg

Victor Klein (6) - Kopie.jpg

Victor Klein (7) - Kopie.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Hello ,they could be of the Colonial Infantry , The white Colonials ,sic surnamed in France until today Marsouins . that is Porpoises . their emblem is the anchor and they were and are elite soldiers .curiously Marine Infantry but belonging to the Army . the French Navy have her Fusiliers Marins .

Hello!

Thanks a lot!

Don´t forget, the 3e régiment d'infanterie marine became 3e régiment d'infanterie coloniale in 1900.

But they stayed in Cherbourg. I assume they had to serve a few months in the desert. Could it be?

Here is a larger scan.

He probably wears the anchor badge. Above he seems to wear the 1870 Bazeilles insignia.

If the soldier fought in 1870, the pohoto might have been take earlier, maybe in the late 80s or early 90s

Victor Klein.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

15 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Some people told me, the photo could have been taken in the 20s.

Had the 3rd Colonial Regiment been in Algerie in that period of time?

The photo is of post WW1 era . the man marked with X wears the new model of tropical helmet .the others the old one .and the officer or Adjutant between two horses wears the Sam Browne belt and bandolier introduced in the French Army during WW1. In the year 1925 the 3rd RIC was deplaced to Morocco to fight against Abd El Krim , then returned to Rochefort 

Hello!

Thanks a lot! I didn´t know, when the new helmet was introduced! When was it exactly?

3rd RIC was in Rochefort from 1919-1939 (except 1925 Morocco).

So am I right, when I say, they had a manoeuvre in the 20s in Algeria?

The Prussian ,the new helmet was adopted in 1931 but earlier it was used ,exists a Photo of the surrender of Abd El Krim ,in the pic you can see two French soldiers with the new helmet . the surrender took place in 1926 . probably officers were allowed to buy a modern helmet before 1931 . the 1886 helmet looks too archaic

Great! I think there ain´t no regimental history or a rank list of that period  available?

I ask because I'm confused.

The regiment was in Rochefort since 1919 and engaged in Morroco in 1925. I didn't find anything about Algeria

Edited by The Prussian