News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ernst I von Sax-Altenburg chronology

Some of you may have seen the postings that I have made on the WAF in regards to my year + project researching and reconstructing Ernst I von Sax-Altenburg.

Well?. Over the coarse of the research I accumulated some great CDV?s and postcards of him from different years and ages. I find that it?s quite interesting to see how the medal bar changed and awards.

I thought some of you might find this of interest.

His bio:

Born 1826

Ernst I. from the Stammliste for Inf. R. 96"

17.08.1845 enterd the Sachsen-Altenburg line Batl. as a Sek.Lt.

28.09.1847 attached to the prussian J?ger Batl. 6

08.05.1851 promoted Prem.Lt. and placed ? la suite 1. Garde Regt. zu Fu?

21.10.1852 promoted captain

17.03.1853 granted "Charakter" as a Major

03.08.1853 became reigning Herzog of Sachsen-Altenburg

17.02.1856 promoted Generalmajor and placed ? la suite der Armee

16.05.1861 made "Chef" (honorary colonel) of J?ger Batl. 6

08.06.1866 promoted General of the Infantry

Took part in 1870/71 war attached to HQ of IV. Armeekorps

Credited with following campaign/battle participation:

Sieges of Metz, Toul and Soissons

Battles of Orl?an, Loigny-Pouprt, Beaugency-Cravant and the Siege of Paris

16.08.1876 Chef I./Inf. R. 96

13.09.1876 placed ? la suite 1. Garde Regt. zu Fu?

28.11.1891 placed ? la suite of Husaren Regt. 12

28.03.1894 Chef IV./Inf. R. 96

10.04.1897 Chef Inf. R. 153

28.09.1907 promoted Generalobert

07.02.1908 died

Medal bar awards as of 1908

1) EK 2. Klasse 1870 mit Eichelaub 25

2) Russian St. George Order

3) Mecklenburg-Schwerin, MVK 2. Kl. 1870

4) Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Greifen-Orden, Ritterkreuz

5) Prussian long service cross

6) Sachsen long service cross

7) Sachsen- Altenburg long service cross

8) S?chsische Herzogt?mer ab 1826, Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden, Silbernes Verdienstkreuz

9) Kriegsdenkm?nze 1870 mit Paris, Orl?ans, Loigny-Pouprt

10) Prussian 1848/49 commemorative medal

11) Preussen, Centenarmedaille 1897

12) Hannoversche Jubil?umsdenkm?nze mit Datum ?19. Dezember 1803/19. Dezember 1903

13) Schaumburg-Lippe Military merit medal with sabers for 1870/71

14) Mecklenburg-Schwerin - Franz II memorial medal 1897

15) Saxe-Coburg Gotha Medaille zur Erinnerung an die Silberne Hochzeit Herzogs Alfred and Marie, 1899.

16) Anhalt Duke Friedrich Silver Jubilee Medal.

Ernestinian Grand cross star with swords

Johaniter breast cross

Prussian Black eagle

Hohenzoller Grand commander

Bavarian Hubertus.

Saxon order of the Crown Rue

The first pic is of young Ernst.. that I'm estimating dates around 1860.... notice the few medals and the very early helmet

[attachmentid=36052]

Edited by mravery

about 1890... and this is the only pics that I have of him in something other than his standard service tunic. The details in these photographs is incredible.. to the point where you can make out the actual medals and details in the bar.

The final and last picture that I have of him.. that was taken the year of his death.. 1908.... this is also the first picture that I have of him wearing 3 long service medals.... Prussian, Sax-Altenburg and also Saxon ! (who needs to follow regs when your The DUKE )

It was from this postcard that iwas able to identify the 1870 campaign bars and a few of the medals.

Edited by mravery

Beautiful stuff! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I collect mostly postcards of royalty/nobility, in fact the photo you posted in item 3 was on eBay the other day and I tried to win it, but got outbid. I don't believe I have any from Saxe-Altenburg, but I could be mistaken. I can't afford the helmets, uniforms, medals, or swords, so I just collect photos and postcards! :P

I believe this postcard from Saxe-Meiningen is the only Saxon duchy that I have right now.

Beautiful stuff! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I collect mostly postcards of royalty/nobility, in fact the photo you posted in item 3 was on eBay the other day and I tried to win it, but got outbid.

Hey Mike......... Sorry about the auction...... but I think it was me that outbid you :blush:

Ernst I is about the only guy that I'll spend the $$ on for good postcards and CDVs...... But hey.. since we are both in Florida.... you can come by and visit it anytime you want !

Thanks for the kind words guys...... this has been a project for some time and I'm glad to almost see it completed......

Question for you MEDALS and ORDERS guys.... even in the very first pic... he is wearing the Ernestine Grand cross badge (I guess due to him being 'royalty')... but would it have been awarded without swords.. and then perhaps later on in 1848 or 1870.. the swords were added.....

And if so...... would he not really be able to wear both... with and without swords ?????

Cheers

Mark

Hey Mike......... Sorry about the auction...... but I think it was me that outbid you :blush:

Ernst I is about the only guy that I'll spend the $$ on for good postcards and CDVs...... But hey.. since we are both in Florida.... you can come by and visit it anytime you want !

Mark,

That's quite okay! I think it's much more important for it to live with your uniform and medals than to be in a binder at my place!! :beer:

Hey Mike,

I also forgot to add..... I love the postcard you posted... what a great helmet pic !

The offer is still on the table if your ever up in the Orlando area !

Cheers

Mark

I do get down there occasionally on business about once a year or so, I may just give you a shout and take you up on your offer next time I'm in the area. But I probably couldn't carry enough kleenex with me 'cause I'd break down and cry over those beautiful uniforms you have! :speechless1::unsure::jumping: