News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

why just one crown?

Hello,

a friend of mine owns this miniature of the pilots badge of Austro-Hungarien Empire. He showed it to me and asked why there is just one crown on this badge. The pilot badges from emporer Karl should have two crowns?

Does anyone have any clue? 

To be honest I don't even know if this is a modern copy or not.

FeldpilotenAbz-kuk.jpg

The national Coat o Arms was changed in 1915 from the single "Rudolph"-style crown to the double "Rudolph"-style and Hungarian Crown.  Therefore you will find two versions of some medals during WW1. Compare with "Signum Laudis": here was the single crown in use until the death of emporer Franz Joseph. The medals of emporer Karl show the new type double crown.

Regards

Christian

0059-BMVM KK Krieg.jpg

0061-BMVM FJ mit KD avers.jpg

Edited by Christian1962

true, but you can see that this badge has the letter "K" in it, so it is from Karl and should have had two crowns, this was the reason for me asking it. But Thank you for your clarification, my questions was not accurate enough. 

The crowns were not changed at the same date as Karl became emporer. It was done in October 1917.

fp1917nvb.jpg

So should be pieces which displayed the single crown between approx. January/February 1917 and autumn 1917. Existing pieces  were issued as long as on stock.

Regards

Christian

1 hour ago, Simius Rex said:

The discussion is focusing on a single crown versus a double crown.  This issue is the LEAST of the shown pilot badge's problems. 

Hi Simius Rex,

I totally agree with you, but I wanted to be polite. The photo was sent to me by my friend and my first insight was: Copy even if a miniature it looks terrible! But as this is an english forum for Gentlemen, I just wanted to indicate my doubts. 

But if the forum prefers the plain German way of being straight forward, I can do so as well! ?

On 21/05/2021 at 14:29, Christian1962 said:

The crowns were not changed at the same date as Karl became emporer. It was done in October 1917.

fp1917nvb.jpg

So should be pieces which displayed the single crown between approx. January/February 1917 and autumn 1917. Existing pieces  were issued as long as on stock.

Regards

Christian

Hi Christian,

have you ever seen an original pilot badge with letter "K" with only one crown or are the only ones known allways have two crowns?

Thx!