News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Functions & Duties of Sanitater & Musiker' Personnel, Assigned to an Infantry Kompanie ?

Hello Gentlemen,  Hopefully this is the proper sub-section for this query ? I realize that there were numerous types & duties amongst the WW1 era German medical personnel, but I'm interested in determining the primary duties & functions of someone listed as an, 'Sanitater & Musiker', who was assigned to the 1st Kompanie of Reserve Infantry Regiment Nr. 80 ? [ His actual Rank was listed as an Gefreiter. ] Would he have served as an Stretcher Bearer, an Aid Man / Medic, or perhaps someone who would have been assigned / attached to the Infantry Kompanie's Medical Detachment ? If could advise me regarding the above query, I will be very much appreciative for any & all replies.  THANK YOU

Best,    Dom P. /  dpast32

Thanks Bayern , I again appreciate your kind reply. My primary purpose was / is to determine if he would have been assigned to the small Medical Section of his particular Infantry Kompanie, or instead would have been attached to an actual Infantry Squad as an Aid Man, or Medic ? Yes, it's an wholly academic question, but I was simply wondering as to his precise location of assignment within his assigned 1st Kompanie ?  I do admit that in many cases I tend to over document my respective medal groups, & thereby end up at the proverbial 'dead end', so to speak. Sometimes there's only so deep we can delve into these things, & subsequently have to accept what we've found & be happy with it ! [ Plus, my not reading or writing German doesn't help any either, especially that darn old Germanic script !! ] THANKS AGAIN My Friend,

Best,      Dom P. 

Thanks Bayern , I again appreciate your kind reply. My primary purpose was / is to determine if he would have been assigned to the small Medical Section of his particular Infantry Kompanie, or instead would have been attached to an actual Infantry Squad as an Aid Man, or Medic ? Yes, it's an wholly academic question, but I was simply wondering as to his precise location of assignment within his assigned 1st Kompanie ?  I do admit that in many cases I tend to over document my respective medal groups, & thereby end up at the proverbial 'dead end', so to speak. Sometimes there's only so deep we can delve into these things, & subsequently have to accept what we've found & be happy with it ! [ Plus, my not reading or writing German doesn't help any either, especially that darn old Germanic script !! ] THANKS AGAIN My Friend,

Best,      Dom P. 

Hello Folks,  I do have one more question pertaining to this particular Group, & hope someone can assist me in solving it ? The above noted 'Sanitater & Musiker' [ also referred to in some of his documents by his Gefreiter Rank ] was awarded the E.K. II either on 27 January 1916, or for an act performed on that date, but unfortunately when obtained its Ribbon was missing ? So, based upon his unit designation, & or function, which E.K. II Ribbon type would be most appropriate for his decoration, the 'Combatant' version, or the 'Non-Combatant' variety ? Unfortunately it appears as if I'll be forced to obtain a reproduction piece of drape, as I haven't found any gaerenteed original mtg examples available, although many are listed as 'original'. But, at the moment all I'm really interested in is determining exactly v which Ribbon type would be appropriate for my example ? As always, any & all input will be very much appreciated. THANKS AGAIN !

Best,   Dom P. / dpast32

THANK YOU Simius, You're reply is exactly what I was looking for. And, it is specifically noted on one of his documents that his service was performed 'at the Front' There is some additional wording on this same form, but as I unfortunately don't speak or read German, I suspect that's the more to to gleaned from those few sentences. I'm preparing to photograph these particular documents, & hopefully, once Posted here, someone may find a few interesting & informative tidbits within them ? THANKS

Best,      Dom

IMG_6458.thumb.jpg.8d2d7682b757eb2aef19641b5e2f2c31.jpg 

Hello dpast32, Simius rex made me to remember that the Front in WW1 was more or less determined by the range of the Heavy Artillery in front of Your Lines but also by the ubication of Army Corps Headquarters or even Army HQs

THANK YOU so very much 'Simius Rex', & 'Bayden' too, as always, I truly do appreciate each & every reply ! I admit that my initial Posts were quite lacking in legible details, but now that I've received the actual Grouping, I can improve upon my original Posts.

I'm also pleased with that fact that I'm able to confirm with almost 100% certainty as to his E.K. II being an officially authorized decoration, due to it's notation on page 24 of his WW2 issue Wehrpass. And, in reference to his Genealogical Study, it consists of 4 pages, not just the 1st page I Posted. In fact, this particular Document is one of the primary reasons I purchased this Group, as much of the initial research had already been done for me ! [ It appears to be an extremely detailed study, going back through both sides of his lineage & their overall history. Only the 1st page however included any relevant military service data, so I couldn't see including the rest of it, unless of course someone has an particular interest in it ? ]

Also, amongst all his paperwork are 2 pieces, both related to what appears to be his late War, pink colored 'Call Up', which I plan on Posting as soon as I get a chance. [ 2 pieces = the Call Up document, dated 02 February 1945, along with its corresponding envelope. ] There's also an aside to this man's story, which is, did he actually survive the final months of WW2 ? Although I've gotten a few 'hits' pertaining to his WW1 WIA information, his 1916 marriage, & what appears to be his wife, Freda's death in 1956, [ Freda, nee' Manker ] I unfortunately haven't found anything on his ultimate demise ?  All in all, I'm quite pleased with the Group, & hopefully will be able to dig up some more interesting facts regarding my search subject ! THANKS AGAIN Gentlemen,

Best,    Dom Pastore Jr. / dpast32@aol.com

And Ohh,  as a P.S.:   I've been attempting to dechiper the proof along the ring of his E.K., & as most of you are probably aware, it's quite a bugger. Based upon what I 'think' it looks like, here are a few 'possibilities' of what I see on the rim.

RE:   KH 14, KA 14, AH 14, HA 14, or ??  Those possible's were observed with my 30X Loupe, which did appear to be an improvement over the 10X. Maybe I'm getting old, but boy, they're very tough to discern ? 

Hey Folks,  I just realized that 'my man' received an additional medal / award for his Great War service. His Wehrpass lists 3 specific items, with the first 2 being, E.K. II, & 'Front Fighters Cross', aka Hindenburg Cross. As to the 3rd entry, I'm uncertain other than it's some type / form of Cross ? Does anyone recognize this particular award ? His unit was formed & originated from Hesse, so naturally I thought perhaps it was from there, but after an albeit brief search, I find no such award. ANY information on this 'Cross' will be much appreciated. THANKS AGAIN !

Best,     Dom P.   

IMG_6455.thumb.jpg.e6389904aeaad7587a8e19c864be5588.jpg

THANK YOU My Friend, you pretty much confirmed my assumption. Based upon the above, 2nd in the list was abbreviated also, that may well be the case with the 3rd example ? As I know have the original documents in hand, I will Post them, rather than have people try to assist me working off somewhat less than legible copies. And yes, he does appear to have been some form of Civil Servant, having served within the City / Town's Administration. [ Also evidenced by his 25 year Service Medal ] I've also been advised that the 'pink' Wehrpass F Notice' was something advising the civilian populace as how to behave / act if & when the enemy forces are nearby, 'I think' ? The 25 year doc, along with the 'Front Fighter's Cross' I'm familiar with, so need no assistance on. Same too with the Genealogical Form. All the rest, unfortunately I could still use some translation help with ? So, here they are, what probably amounts to Heinrich's whole life, or almost all ! 

PLEASE see below for the Scans.

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH To anyone & everyone who has s very kindly assisted me in deciphering this interesting WW1 / WW2 Group !!!

Best,     Dom Pastore Jr.  /  dpast32@aol.com

IMG_6468.thumb.jpg.8d61d4c5b48f89ea09f85bfc57d5f1f2.jpgIMG_6465.thumb.jpg.5c7ea76704f2f728fd980365a9e16cf2.jpgIMG_6464.thumb.jpg.a09bdd56bf351ef7659a19cc7f9b614c.jpgIMG_6466.thumb.jpg.e46ecf1548c0468c382f65f6ab5b4693.jpgIMG_6469.thumb.jpg.175d0d08dae2336e15343302ad823451.jpgIMG_6471.thumb.jpg.e0a4bc7fc99a860db18a64b49c02d91a.jpgIMG_6470.thumb.jpg.8cb1704eac4631a1f7df032f110d235b.jpgIMG_6473.thumb.jpg.ff60a2b8a8f39527bd93dfe239240d46.jpg

And that My Friends is the whole Group. I apologize for the upside down one, but I retook it twice, but to no avail. It's an envelope of sorts, which was / is permanently attached to the reverse of the 4th photo up from the bottom. All in all an interesting Grouping. I haven't been actively collecting Imperial German items for years now, but just found this one so interesting I couldn't pass it up.