News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"OPEX" - Deployment Badges of the 2nd Legion Infantry Regiment

Chris Boonzaier

OPEX badges are usually given out as a souvenir of deployments.

Usually the design is approved, sometimes not.

Here are the Desert Storm badges. On the left the official Operation Daguet badge. Every unit recieved this badge, with their unit stamped in the back and a number... so 2eREI number 0274.

In the middle a commercial one sold at the 2REI PX, on the right the badge for the Protection Company of the Divisonal Headqurters, a composite unit with 2REI providing a Motorised section. There is the 2REI Horseshoe, the 6th Light armoured div badge, the 1 REC beret badge, this one numbered 104Daguet1.thumb.jpg.29f3e1fca22fde82995df39da9f287c8.jpgDaguet2.thumb.jpg.72abc8327b9177119ffc4b37b6d5d276.jpg

Hi Chris

Thanks for showing  the Operation Daguet badge..always wondered what this badge looked like when I was collecting Desert Storm medals and could never find out. I really like the mini  (lapel?) badge..is that numbered too?

Are OPEX badges worn with or instead of normal unit badges? I don't know much about French insignia.

Thanks

Jim

On 07/07/2021 at 10:40, jimn said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for showing  the Operation Daguet badge..always wondered what this badge looked like when I was collecting Desert Storm medals and could never find out. I really like the mini  (lapel?) badge..is that numbered too?

Are OPEX badges worn with or instead of normal unit badges? I don't know much about French insignia.

Thanks

Jim

Hi, the Opex Badges are not worn, although I have seen guys just put them on for photos on Occasion. The Daguet onr in the left was awarded to all units which took part... so the 2 REI ones are engraved 2REI, the 1 REC engraved 1REC... the small ones are PX purchase pieces, and I think still made today for vets. The round one was, as far as I could find out a Commercial one done by an Artiste named Josette Spiaggia... exactly who commisioned them, I do not know. I bought this one in the 2REI PX as far as I can remember.

Here is another one....

Operation Licorne "Groupement Tactique interarmes No 1 (12th Mandate) Ivory Coast 2006

Obviously 12th Mandate was 2 REI and the badge was based on the regimental one....Licorne1.jpg.1bc25c79459fefdc4be9ae2ef9dfa3ab.jpgLicorne2.jpg.56fc5ad53c68800d3b2aa20759f6ab30.jpg

On 07/07/2021 at 05:44, Ian said:

Hui Chris,

Can you elaborate on why some Legion units were banned from serving in the EFAO please?

There was an incident where a section on Patrol killed a number of Poachers. I heard different versions of the story by different people, but in the end the Company had to return to France to be replaced and a few were arrested.  I am not sure of all the details... back in the early 90s I got the story from 2 different guys in the company, both were pretty different... I think on another occasion some legionnaires on guard entered the presidents Airplane and had a party, drinking all the booze, which did not go down well. Anyway, the REP was persona non grata for a while in Central Africa