News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Second Empire Campaign Medals with Crowns

Graf

On 08/12/2021 at 18:29, Elmar Lang said:

Hello,

just to add something to this thread again, I would like to share the images of another group belonging to my collection, awarded to the French Lt. Colonel Christian Welter.

His Legion of Honour has the crown stuffed with bright red silk cloth, that I am pretty sure it dates back to the time of wear.

The Crimean Campaign Medal is unnamed, the 1859 Italian Campaign Medal is without crown and the Sardinian "Al Valore" medal, is nicely named.

I have purchased the group in 2012 at an auction in Austria; it comes from an old, now dissolved, US collection.

Bonjour Elmar,

Very nice group !

WELTER was posted to the 3e Voltigeurs on 13th April 1856 - after returning from the Crimea.

He had served the campaign with the 14e de Ligne (14th Line Infantry).

He notably took part in the fights of the night between 23rd and 24th May 1855 (second night of bloody fighting with the Russians) :

'L'action s'engagea à la même heure que la veille. L'élan de ces braves bataillons, appartenant au 46e, eu 98e, au 14e, au 80e, fut irrésistible. Les embuscades furent tournées et enlevées ; l'ennemi, partout enfoncé, se retira en entretenant une fusillade, qui s'apaisa cependant peu à peu et qui finit par s'éteindre. Le génie put aussitôt commencer les travaux et les pousser, malgré la mitraille et les projectiles de toute nature lancés par la place."

This is where he was wounded :

"Blessé de petites plaies multiples à la face et à l'oeil gauche, le 24 Mai 1855, à l'attaque des embuscades Russes, devant Sébastopol, et par suite de la déflagration de la poudre d'un obus."

He was also decorated with the Légion d'honneur for the same fights (ranking from 1st June 1855) :

"Capitaine au 14e régiment d'infanterie de ligne ; treize ans de service effectif, deux campagnes, une blessure ; a entraîné sa compagnie avec beaucoup d'entrain et de vigueur."

So - besides the Légion d'honneur, the "Sébastopol" Clasp was well earned !

The naming of the AVM matches exactly the style of another know example for the regiment.

Great group !

Jerome

Edited by Djedj