News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MINECRAFT EMBLEM ( WW2) ( Large multicoloured cloth badge )

numis

I have one of these in a group for  WW2 USN  Pacific Theatre service

Would anyone know how many of these might have been issued for WW2 service ?

It is apparently classified as a " Distinguishing Mark " 

Do they come on the market often ?

Was it only a WW2 award ? What lifespan did it have ?

Any assistance with these queries would be much appreciated 

Navy specialty marks are used as trade and specialty badges on seamen's uniforms. The minecraft badge found at https://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/navy.html (It won't copy and paste) was an official substitute for an earlier specialty mark for sailors who were minesweepers. This is seen at https://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/other2/otherinsnminesweeper.html. The Navy instituted the minecraft badge in 1944 and abolished it in 1947.

According to my reference links, the patch on the left is the official specialty mark that was allowed between 1944 and 1947. The one on the right was the unofficial specialty mark of crewmen of a minesweeper between 1942 and 1944. It was prohibited by the Chief of Naval Operations. Thanks for the illustrations.

dmiller8 is absolutely correct.  I just want to make sure we were speaking of the same thing.  Any comment I might have made would be practically verbatim from those dmiller8.  

Good job!

• 3 weeks later...