News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

replacememt WWI WAR MEDAL

Yes, there are pepole out there willing to do that. Some of them infest eBay, where you would expect them. They are of course not allowed among serious collectors, at medal fairs or elsewhere. They are one of the lowest forms of scum, sub-human fakers and fraudsters. They're out there doing their bit to line their pockets while destroying our hobby.

:violent:

Guest Rick Research

While Ed has just blown his chance to be the next U.N. Ambasaador, the basic point he is painting with such a broad brush is true enough

what is the point of ruining someone ELSE's missing family piece forever--

just to hang in a display where nobody will even be able to SEE the rim anyway?

Just display any old BWM medal.

I've been collecting for 40 years and stranger, more improbable things have happened than the miraculous reunification of dispersed family items-- provided you live long enough to even out the odds some. :cheeky:

BEST thing to do would be

POST the name unit and number of the medal you are seeking. We all keep eyes out for such things and who knows

ten years from the day you POST the number rank name and unit, somebody halfway across the planet may idly google search it and...

contact you. :beer:

Yes, there are pepole out there willing to do that. Some of them infest eBay, where you would expect them. They are of course not allowed among serious collectors, at medal fairs or elsewhere. They are one of the lowest forms of scum, sub-human fakers and fraudsters. They're out there doing their bit to line their pockets while destroying our hobby.

:violent:

I agree with you, Sadly as the war medal was the only named medal in the group ,there would seem to be no other option. As family medals they are not going to be sold!!

There are other options:

There are replicas of almost all British medals now. Buy one of these and have it named (I believe some of the suppliers even offer this service).

Name-erased medals exist. Here you have the advantage of an original, but you aren't destroying anything that hasn't already been destroyed.

Name-erased medals exist. Here you have the advantage of an original, but you aren't destroying anything that hasn't already been destroyed.

But the name has been erased! Do we wish to encourage this practice? Like all those name-erased Army of India Medals on the market. Almost all were once named to Indians but erased by the helpful dealers as the market price for an erased medal was higher than one to an Indian! Desecration!!

:angry::violent:

But the name has been erased! Do we wish to encourage this practice? Like all those name-erased Army of India Medals on the market. Almost all were once named to Indians but erased by the helpful dealers as the market price for an erased medal was higher than one to an Indian! Desecration!!

:angry::violent:

I agree with you Ed, but name-erases WWI medals are a fact of life, and I doubt that one would command a higher price than a "native" :shame: named one.

But look at the dealers' lists. You'll see that, still, a medal to a native (of the British Isles) is priced higher than one to a native (of South Asia or other "non-White" area), while an de-named (name-erased) medal falls between these two prices. What, then, does a dealer who cares more about profits than ethics do with a medal named to an Indian? And if you were to de-name a medal and cram it into a group, trumpeting "unnamed as issued" you might really fool the rubes and make an even bigger profit.

The legitimate unnamed medals (not erased) that are out and about are another issue, and they're a bit of a puzzle. Several of us have been trying to disentangle this. There is more afoot than unnamed mint escapees.

And I do not even speak of the fakes ("replicas") that are being flogged about, named to order. The problem is that, in an age of laser technology, these frauds can be very good indeed. If they aren't now, they soon will be, I fear.

If I could find an unnamed named WW1 WAR medal that would be great.There must be a stock of unnamed medals as a recipient or his/her next of kin is legally able to apply to purchase a replacement.May be some of these have found there way onto the market.

Guest pikemedals

hi,just like to say that dixons are selling original 1914-15 stars & british war medals.i think they are from south african stock.has the south african goverment has been selling them off. ttfn paul

hi,just like to say that dixons are selling original 1914-15 stars & british war medals.i think they are from south african stock.has the south african goverment has been selling them off. ttfn paul

Thank you for your help.