News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

I am looking for an overview of career and decorations of the bavarian kavallerie Oberst Emil Freiherr v. Stockum-Sternfels (1792-1863)

A possible picture would ofcourse be very welcome.

Thanks a lot

David

David,

a, bit sketchy I am afraid as the first Bavarian Military Handbook was not published until 1831, his very early career is a bit tricky. 

He is shown as an Oberlieutenant (15.6.30) in the 1. Cürassier-Regiment in 1831 and as a Rittmeister (20.1.40) in 6. Cheveaulegers-Regiment. 

Major (21.8.48) 1, Cürassier-Regiment

Oberstlieutenant (30.6.51) 1. Cheveaulegers-Regiment

He rose to the command of the 2. Cheveaulegers-Regiment Taxis (1855-57) as an Oberst (31.3.55)

As a retired officer his decorations were as follows:

The commemorative medal for 1813, 1814, 1815

Knight's Cross of the Greek Order of the Redeemer

Greek volunteer medal (GDF)

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Glenn! Are there not some kind of regimental stammliste of the regiments he served in or commanded? Either he or his brother who ended his career as a GM in bavarian service , was in kurhessian service in 1814-1815. I would love to find a confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...

David,

he was reinstated as an Oberlieutenant. It was often the case when German officers took a "career break" to serve with foreign armies. They often received quite senior rank but strict German rules of seniority precluded reinstatement at such elevated ranks. A more well known example is that of the later Prussian General der Infanterie August von Goeben. He left Prussian service in 1836 as a Seconde-Lieutenant and entered the Spanish Carlist army in the same rank. He rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel by 1840 and re-entered the Prussian army in 1842 again as a Seconde-Lieutenant!

Regards

Glenn