News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hessen-Darmstadt Felddienstzeichen (Kriegsdenkmünze) 1840- Field Honor Decoration, 3 strikes, which one is the rarest?

According to Ehrenzeichen-Orden.de, Felddienstzeichen (Kriegsdenkmünze) 1840 - 30,287 medals were given out, with at least three strikes in 1840, 1842 and 1867. Additionally, there are two known variations, one with a dot after the 14 in the date and one without.

Questions:
    • What exactly weere the criterea for this medal?
    • Is there any surviving documentation or printed word about it?
    • Are there any examples of these medals being given to veterans of the North American and Napoleonic campaigns of 1780-1815? The medal info states it's for service to the Grand Duchy of Hesse.
      • At what point does the service to the Grand Duchy begin?
    • How can you tell the difference between the three strikes
      • One known is the dot after 14 in the date, so which strike does this signify and which is the rarest?
      • Almost every image I see online has the dot after the 14, but I have an example without the dot...
    Background info: From what I gather, most Hessian-Darmstadt troops barely saw any action after the Napoleonic wars even during the 7 weeks war in 1866. If they gave medals in 1840 to veterans of pre-1815 campaigns, there couldn't have been more then a few hundred left (almost 30k served during that time, so by 1840 most would be dead of old age). The revolutions of 1830 started in neighboring Hesse-Kassel, but how many soldiers from Darmstadt were used for the 1830 revolutions? I would suspect then if there are 3 strikes, the 1840 strike would be the rarest, the 1867 medal with tens of thousands issued to make the 1866 vets feel good for losing...?

Another note back in the late 1700s most of Hesse soldiers were mercenaries, and Hesse was able to stay neutral during many disputes even though their soldiers were rented out, and in one case they rented soldiers that fought on both sides while they still stayed neutral. The medal states it's for services to the Duchy, and I would presume that many tens of thousands of these soldiers would not qualify as it wasn't serving the interests of the Duchy (all of the Revolutionary War Hessians for instance). The Ducky did have it's own army that did participate in wars on its behalf, but most were rented out (almost 25% of all British land forces were rented from Hesse-Darmstadt).
    05-1776-2-scaled.jpg

Edited by TJLA
    added pic

The above photo is with the dot and seems to be the very common one that is available everywhere. The photo below are without the dot after 14 before Juni. There is also a tiny change to the other side strike as well, in the bottom left of the wreath there is an additional berry/ball/dot in the wreath that is not in other version, so you can easily see the difference in medal on both sides.

In Jesus Chapela Rey's book, Campaign Medals & Orders of Revolutionary & Napoleonic Wars, it lists the medal there as well. Understanding which strike was for which era would rearrange the valuation of these medals as it's very poorly understood (if indeed these were issued for pre 1815 battles).

Any experts out there?

IMG_7789.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

5 hours ago, Paris said:

Die Auszeichnung wurde 3 mal verliehen.

1840 für den Krieg  1792 - 1815

1850 für den Krieg  1848 - 1849

1867 für den Krieg  1866

IMG_0514.JPG

These documents are fantastic! This one appears to be the first one they issued in 1840... can it be translated? (The type is too difficult for me, as a non German speaker to run through the translator, I can only deduce a few words as a result and think this is the first one issued). 

I'm hoping to get some more details about what these documents say, as you mention it is for 1792-1815... and other sources say 1780.

Here's a side by side of two known variations, with and without a dot after the 14 in the date. 

I was mistaken earlier about there being an additional dot in the wreath on the reverse.

Are there more details in Jorg Nimmergut, German Order and Decorations up to 1945, Vol 1? It seems the website I linked is referencing his work.

Darm.png

Edited by TJLA

Leider ist mein englisch sehr bescheiden . SORRY

Hier mal der Stiftungsauszug aus dem hessischen Regierungsblatt 1840

Die ersten Medaillen aus der Zeit 1840 konnte auch vergoldet bestellt werden.

Auch aus der Zeit 1840 sind die mit Gravur.

Es ist aber noch nicht bekannt ,ob es sich um verliehene Medaillen handelt, oder um nachgekaufte.

Und hier noch 2 Miniaturen.

Es konnte auch Miniaturen in 14 Karat Gold bestellt werden.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0506-002.JPG

IMG_0435-001.JPG

@Paris Thank you for sharing the medals and paperwork! Also, with google translate I speak every language! lol

The document explains most of it. It appears you could apply for the medal for any battle / campaign for the Duchy. However the Duchy was formed in 1806, so can you apply for a medal for campaign before 1806? The paperwork doesn't give a date range. 

I was able to find this and all of the Duchys Nr releases here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=LgRGAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=en&pli=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

then using Transkribus it could translate 80% of the old German font

https://transkribus.eu/lite/

Campaign map of all Hesse-Darmstadt battles 

https://www.loc.gov/item/98687112/

• 2 weeks later...

Dank Google spreche ich jetzt Deutsch!

Frage: Hat jemand Zugriff auf : Jörg Nimmergut, Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen bis 1945, Bd.1 ? Laut Ehrenzeichen-Orden.de enthält dieses Buch Informationen zu den verschiedenen Streikversionen, die wir suchen.

Hinweis: Jedes einzelne Bild, das ich von dieser Medaille als Punkt im Datum finden konnte. (Aber ich habe das einzige Exemplar, das dies nicht hat ..............?)

Aussage:

Das Zitat besagt, dass es für jeden Kampf und Dienst am Großherzogtum gilt. Aber das Problem ist, dass das Herzogtum vor 1806 nicht existierte. Vor 1806 waren sie Mitglied des Heiligen Römischen Reiches und mussten im Rahmen des Abkommens Truppen nach Österreich stellen. Alle anderen hessischen Soldaten wurden zu dieser Zeit an die Briten vermietet (die zu einem bestimmten Zeitpunkt allein in Nordamerika fast 30.000 waren) und kämpften überhaupt nicht für hessische Interessen, und in einem Fall fand ich hessische Truppen, die gegeneinander kämpften auf dem Schlachtfeld in Europa (vor 1806). Ich gehe also davon aus, dass vor 1806 nur sehr wenige Medaillen verliehen worden wären (wenn überhaupt?), weil hessische Truppen sehr selten mobilisiert wurden, und von den wenigen, die eingesetzt wurden, waren es nur wenige Tausend ... die meisten Veteranen 1840 tot sein würde, wie viele Dutzend Veteranen würden bis dahin übrig bleiben?

Dasselbe gilt für Soldaten von 1806-1815. Ich bin nicht in der Lage, eine genaue Gesamtzahl zu finden, aber ich konnte nicht erklären, dass mehr als 12.000 Soldaten in den Kriegen eingesetzt wurden. Die Hälfte war 1815 tot, also wie viele blieben übrig, um 1840 eine Medaille auszustellen ... oder 1842? Therefore, Ich denke, die überwiegende Mehrheit dieser Medaille wurde 1867 ausgestellt.

Ich freue mich darauf, jemanden mit diesen Themen und Gedanken zu beschäftigen.

Hallo 

Hier mal ein Auszug aus der Geschichte Ludwig 2 (1849)

Alle Militärpersonen, welche unter Ludwig 1 (vorher Landgraf Ludwig 10)Feldzüge mitgemacht hatten, wurde das Felddienstzeichen verliehen.

Der 1 Feldzug war 1792 gegen Frankreich.

Nimmergut schreibt 1780. Das ist falsch.

Hier der Auszug von Nimmergut.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

Vielen Dank, dass Sie all diese Informationen geteilt haben! Es ist äußerst hilfreich.

Um dem noch etwas hinzuzufügen: Hessen-Darmstadt stellte gemäß Vereinbarung mit allen deutschen Bundesländern Truppen zum Heiligen Römischen Reich (HRE), je nach Bevölkerungszahl steuerte jedes Bundesland einen Betrag bei (ich glaube, Hessen_Darmstadt waren 3.000 Mann). HRE, als der gewünschte Anruf kam). Sie waren in vielen der von der HRE ausgetragenen Schlachten präsent, beginnend 1792 mit dem Ersten und Zweiten Koalitionskrieg, wie Sie in den Schlachtlisten sehen können. Das zu verstehen bedeutet, dass der Pool verfügbarer Veteranen für diese Medass aus diesen Kriegen stark erweitert wird.

Einige weitere Fragen:

1. Nimmergut zeigt die zweite Variante, aber keine Erklärung, wann oder warum es ausgegeben wurde. Gibt es weitere Informationen zu dieser Medaille? Das ist wirklich die Schlüsselfrage, die ich zu lösen versucht habe.
    2. Die gravierte Mahlzeit, die Sie haben, ist wunderschön. Wissen Sie, um welche Zeit es sich handelt und ob Medaillen offiziell von der staatlichen Münze geprägt wurden?
    3. Welche Bedeutung hat der 14. Juni – warum gerade dieser Tag? Ich kann nicht herausfinden, warum sie diesen Tag ausgewählt haben.
    4. Das von Ihnen gepostete Bild IMG_0520, das die Medaille erwähnt, wird verliehen (aber ohne weitere Details dazu), woher stammt diese Seite?

Wie ich an dieser Medaille interessiert wurde: Ich habe diese Medaille kürzlich für 10 Dollar gekauft (in vielen anderen, die auch sehr günstig waren) und hatte keine Ahnung, dass sie aus dem napoleonischen Gebiet stammen könnte, mein Favorit. Ich hatte vor, die Medaille weiterzuverkaufen, bis das Buch von Jesus Rey herauskam und es darin war ...

...und ab ins Kaninchenloch!

Hoffentlich hat Google beim Übersetzen gute Arbeit geleistet und ich habe nicht jemandes Haustierziege oder Schwester beleidigt ... oder beides.

Edited by TJLA

Not to double post, but I think the original translation in English will bring in a wider audience as well. Thanks:

Thank you for sharing all this information! It is extremely helpful.

To add just a bit more to this: Hesse-Darmstadt was contributing troops to the Holy Roman Empire (HRE) as per agreement with all the German states, based on population size each state contributed an amount (I think Hesse_Darmstadt was 3,000 men to the HRE when the requested call came). They were present in many of the battles fought by the HRE starting in 1792 with the First and Second wars of coalition, as you can see in the battle rolls. Understanding this means the pool of available veterans for these medass from these wars greatly expands. 

Some more questions:

1. Nimmergut shows the second variation, but no explaination when or why it was issued. Is there any further information on this medal? This is really the key quesiton I've been trying to solve.
    2. The engraved meal you have is beautiful. Do you know what period it is and if any medals were officially impressed by the state mint?
    3. What is the significance of Juni 14 - why that particular day? I'm unable to find why they selected that day.
    4. The image you posted IMG_0520 that mentions the medal will be awarded (but with no further details about it), where did this page come from?

How I became interested in this medal: I purchased this medal  for $10 recently (in a lot of others that were also priced very low) and had no idea it might be from the Napoleonic area, my favorite. I was planning on reselling the medal until Jesus Rey's book came out and it was in there... 

...and down the rabbit hole we go!

Hopefull google did a good job translating and I didn't insult someones pet goat, or sister...or both.