News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

'PLEASE HELP' ! I need to an overall idea of this 1853 Crimea Medal ?

Hello Gents, I sincerely hate to be 'pushy', but I happen to have an extremely rare chance at an 1853" Crimea Medal, officially ( well hopefully ) named to one of my relatives !! My problem is, these medals are totally out of my realm, both in knowledge & in relative value. Included below are the relevant scans, & hopefully, & most thankfully, someone here could give me an idea as to its current value, & anything else of significance ? THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

Regards,    Dom P.

Crimea1_6.jpg.614278f812aec260cfde2b7c1dec4836.jpg

Crimea1_5.jpg.214f391719fbe01325b2d0c04d302a74.jpg

Crimea1_4.jpg.97bf348ab741d1758af46dd1d25b781d.jpg

Crimea1_3.jpg.62d3ebe06fd3efaf7aca007a3f5042af.jpg

Crimea1_2.jpg.34d486432dad6e3b340dff38e8b9e660.jpg

Crimea1_1.jpg.b1c05c22db4c6793ca725f789d0bec37.jpg

I've never owned or even handled a Sardinian-named Crimea Medal, but the medal itself looks like British ones I've owned.

From this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardinian_expeditionary_corps_in_the_Crimean_War#Combat_Forces  it seems that the regiment is "2e Reggimento, Granatieri di Sargegna" (2nd Grenadier Regiment, Sardinian Grenadiers Brigade) which formed part of the 1st Provisional Regiment of the Reserve Brigade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanized_Brigade_"Granatieri_di_Sardegna"#1831_to_1914

Michael

Edited by Michael Johnson

THANK YOU My Friends for your kind replies. They are much appreciated. I am pleased to report that I now own this Medal, & consider myself most fortunate to have had the opportunity to obtain it. 

As advised by a reply here, it was indeed awarded to an member of the Sardinian Expeditionary Corps, who was; 

MARTINO PASTORE, SERGENTE, DEL 2 GRANATIERI DI SARDEGNA" , which translates as;  'MARTINO PASTORE, SERGEANT Of The 2nd REGIMENT Of GRENADIERS".

Hopefully, as I delve into this, I'll manage to determine some connection to my extended family ?  THANKS AGAIN,

Best regards,   Dom Pastore Jr.  /   'dpast32'

Well, I'm pleased to report that based upon every single advanced collector I've checked with, each & every one agreed that this example was almost assuredly period engraved, & in the style of which it should be. So now, I move to really difficult part, attempting to research the recipient, which I'm truly hoping turns out to be somehow related to me ? ( Even if he isn't, well it remains an interesting medal in its own right. ) Soooo, do we still have any Italian members here ? I did initiate just a cursory search on Ancestry.com, but unfortunately came up with nothing at all.  I think I may need someone more local, as hopefully they'll know exactly where to look. Although I've looked, along with others, yet none was able to come up with even a limited roster of Sardinian Troops who received the British Crimean Campaign Medal ? Of course in addition to locating a list, I'm also trying to determine an approximate total of awards to the Sardinian Contingent ? My Medal is named to Sergeant Martino Pastore, 2nd Regiment, of Sardinian Grenadiers.

I have read that the number was 15,000 which arrived in the Crimea, although I haven't yet confirmed that fact. And ohh, while we're on the subject, if anyone here is looking for a copy of the formerly quite expensive, "Historical Dictionary Of The Crimean War" by Arnold Guy, well let me know, as I just ordered my own copy yesterday for the grand total of $12.80 postage paid !! ( USD ) When I was searching for a copy, they all were running around $80.00 +/-, & I decided I guess I didn't need a copy after all ! Then, as I scrolled down a little, I found one seller who had it for $8.00 + shipping !! ( Now that's for me !! ) So, if anyone has any information relevant to these Sardinian issues, I would deeply appreciate hearing from them. THANK YOU Gents, I 'hopefully' look forward to some replies.

Best regards,    Dom P. 

Good Morning Gentleman, I'm attempting to 'revitalize' this conversation, at least a little, as I was truly hoping to pick up at least some information pertaining to these apparently somewhat uncommon examples of British Crimea Medals ? My particular specimen came from the Collection of Tom Nier ( USA, very long time OMSA Member & Author ), who had mentioned it here on the GMIC back in December 2009. He had advised me that he had picked it up, & also promised it to me if he ever parted with it. So, fortunately I now possess this Medal, yet have relatively little knowledge of its relative current value ? ( Other than what I just paid for it. ) And although I have gathered an overview of this 'sub-issue' of the British Medal, I would DEEPLY APPRECIATE any additional information anyone here may be able to provide. I did access all the information contained within the aforementioned 'late October - early December' 2009 Posting on these Medals, yet find myself still wishing for more notes & data concerning these U.K. Awards presented to their Sardinian Allies. And, in addition to learning something more about these, I would also love to determine 'if' what I just paid for my example was indeed 'fair market value', or did I allow the fact that it may have a possible family connection cloud my better judgement by not wishing to pass it up ? THANK YOU Gents, I will, as always be most grateful for any Replies received.

Best regards,    Dom Pastore  /  'dpast32'

On 01/04/2022 at 17:51, Triadoro said:

Hello.  The example itself is, indeed, a nice, genuine Sardinian Crimea medal.  However, that is not the pressing question with these medals.  The BIG question involves the engraving of the recipient's name.  The engraving on this medal looks like a high quality, privately engraved example from the mid-19th century, but caution, because sometimes these are FAKED... so this can be a minefield for the inexperienced collector.

In order to determine the genuineness of the engraving, one has to closely examine whether or not any impact-damage to the rim of the medal also damaged any of the engraving at the point of impact.

If a forger engraves directly over a gouge, nick, scratch, gash, etc, the engraving tends to look as if it was completely invulnerable to the damage.  This is a major red flag!  If the rim was danaged, the engraving should also show signs of damage!

If the medal itself is worn down but the engraving looks sharp, fresh and unaffected by any wear and tear, this counts as a major red flag, too!    

There are more categories, the one I dread is a very clean medal with no engraving is then engraved in the old style script (not official), and then the medal is put through an artificial abuse and aging process. Some fakers go completely overboard and the knicks and marks look unrealistic, done in part to mask the if a medal is authentic. But the more sophisticated ones know how a veteran would wear medals and how they would knick up over time with authentic medals and then given a named privately script. WWII German named silverware or Polish officer cigarette cases have become a massive disaster of a minefield of forgeries and fakes as it's almost impossible to tell if something was engraved then vs now in that script.

Thinking out loud for the scientists in the group, a test that can be done or developed to see when script was embedded on the medal. Like how sensitive medical equipment is made from steel from sunken ships from pre Atomic bomb tested world (doesn't have radioactive contaminants). I always wondered if there's a meturological way to see, like take a small scraping from deep inside a script and then analyze it... Does the heat/pressure do something to that spot that can be seen/observed etc?

• 1 year later...

Good Afternoon Gentleman,  I was just updating one of Ancestry.com Trees pertaining to the above noted individual I referred to here on this Thread a few years ago. I hadn't been aware at the time, but apparently my Medal had been previously discussed here on 06 December 2009 by its original owner, the very prolific Collector, Researcher, & Author To. Nier, from the U.S. Tom was an very long time Member of OMSA here, & had mentioned this particular Medal to me some years ago. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine any firm evidence concerning the Recipient, Sergeant Martino Pastore, however it's not for the lack of trying ! If perhaps I happened to have missed any related information here on the GMIC in the interim, I'd be extremely interested in learning where I might access that information ? THANK YOU Folks,

Best regards,    Dom Pastore Jr.