News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the Luft Beamte tabs. I was fortunate enought to borrow a copy of Angolias book on Luft Traditions from a friend and have been reading about the various Admin tabs. Quite a confusing issue.....

So here are my questions:

1) I have been able to ID a few different waffenfarbes/colors: Dark Green (Admin), Wine Red (Judicial) and Crimson (Courts martial) and Black (initially for Band under the RLM???, is there a black??). Are there any more waffenfarbes for the Admin field?

2) Officer ranks were from LT to General officer but I believe that not all career fields had all the ranks, i.e. some might have gone from, LT to MAJ while others went from LT to Oberstleutnant? Correct?

3) There were 4 careers (Low, Medium, Elevated and High). Low had NO piping. Medium had tiwsted green and silver piping??? Elevated had Silver piping and High had Gold piping. So was it possible for some ranks to exist in both gold piping and silver piping since the different fields had different educational requirements for their ranks, i.e. Major might have silver piping in one career field but have gold piping in another field since the educational requirements for a Major in that one field were higher than in the other.

Well that is it for now?

I am just trying to see how many different tabs there are int he Admin field.

Gary B

Edited by Gary B

Hi Gary,

I wil get into more details later...

1. But the only waffenfarbes I know of (off the top of my head) are:

Admin- Dark Green (available... dependant on level and rank)

Air Traffic Control- Light green(Scarce)

Judical- Wine Red(Most difficult to find and VERY expensive)

2. You are correct about the tab pipings in relation to the four levels. Each level does have a lowest as well as highest obtainable rank. Again, I will have to consult my books later.

3. It is possible for some ranks to be equal amoung the various levels... for example, it is possible to see a Lt ranking in the Highest level and in the Elevated level. The example you gave with the Major is a correct one.

There is even a Reserve Administrative tab that I saw in vol 2! (with blue secondary piping) that I never knew existed! I would love to find one of those!

I beleive that the Admin field could be a collecting focus of it's own! There are tons!

Paul,

Thanks for your quick analysis. I have been reading the appropriate collar tab sections in Angolia's Vols 1 & 2 and am more and more confused by the plethora of different tabs/pipings/waffenfarbes all of which are complicated even more so by change to thew Luft regulations every few years! No wonder they lost the war!!!! They probably could not even figure out there own rank structure.

I hope to eventually come up with a simple checklist (by waffenfarbe color & piping) that outlines all of the Admin tabs. In the end I think this will make things much easier when looking for those spots in the collection.

Gary B

Hi Gary,

I did a Quick scan of the books last night and I could not find anything referencing a black administrative tab. Do you remember where you saw that one mentioned?

Hi Paul,

Page 36 of Angolias VOL 2. It mentions a switch to black waffenfarbe for Engineer Construction Admin. I dont believe he is talking about the black tabs with gulls. I also think there was a mention of black for musician leaders working for the RLB.

Gary B

Hi Gary,

I did a Quick scan of the books last night and I could not find anything referencing a black administrative tab. Do you remember where you saw that one mentioned?

Hi Gary,

I thought that he was referring to the secondary waffenfarbe used in shoulder boards for a breif amount of time! I will have to check this evening...

Paul

Paul,

Also on page 12 and 13, Angoilia mentions the different colors some of which were used on the waffenfarbe (Green/Wine red/Crimpson and Black), indicated by an asterisk. I just wonder why we dont see more of these other colors.

I believe Garth has a set of Black admin tabs?

Gary B

• 3 years later...

Paul,

Also on page 12 and 13, Angoilia mentions the different colors some of which were used on the waffenfarbe (Green/Wine red/Crimpson and Black), indicated by an asterisk. I just wonder why we dont see more of these other colors.

I believe Garth has a set of Black admin tabs?

Gary B

I think that the reason for the lack of black admin tabs is their late institution date(1944). The Crimson and wine red tabs are rare but not impossible to find.

There are other colors I have seen as well that I have not seen published in the reference books. Ihave a set of the blue admin tabs. I am guessing that they are medical related.