News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Battlefield dug relics

[attachmentid=37456]My main interest is in the Great War battlefields themselves - how they were, how they are today and what can still be seen there. I have a small collection of pick-up items, always taken with the permission of the land-owner. Where a found object is too "pyrotechnically volatile" to move, I just take photographs. Here's hoping that members will find this first batch of interest.

Tom

"Flying Pig" mortar projectile - Beaumont-Hamel, somme

Edited by Tom Morgan

I like them Tom, please show more.

I don't usually see much on the Somme, once at the fair in Sailly Sallisel my wife got bored and went for a walk. She came back 15 minutes later with a Lebel rifle, twisted and bent from the plough.

Tony

my wife got bored and went for a walk. She came back 15 minutes later with a Lebel rifle, twisted and bent from the plough.

Tony

Lucky! Some years ago my wife asked me to go into an antique store as they "had some badges". I came away with a Canadian Militia pith helmet (admittedly in rough shape) with a beautiful 1908 Star plate to the 31st Battalion.

For $35!

I just wish I'd bought the Gras bayonet as well. :(

cartridges and shrapnel balls. The cartridge on the left is German (there is iron content in the bullet itself hence the rusting). The others are British. The one on the right is still held in the rusted remnants of its charger clip.

Machine-pressed aluminium strips from original British wooden cross grave markers - bonfire-site in field next to Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, Somme. The upper one says (if carefully unfolded) "Unknown British Sergeant." The lower one reads, "UNKNOWN B".

British friction-tube. When you see a gunnner firing a piece by pulling on a lanyard, this is what the other end of the lanyard was attached to. Pulling the lanyard pulled out a pin which was coated with material rather like that on a match. The resulting burn passed down the small tube and ingnited the charge.

• 7 months later...