News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Museum that needs help with some documents

Good evening colleauges

My apologies up front if this is posted in the wrong location but I am hoping this can be a place to start and if a moderator feels it is better elsewhere then please feel free to move it. I am the CEO of the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We have an extensive archives that was assembled primarily from about 1960 to about 1995. As a result of some institutional ups and downs, the museum lost staff and many items in its archives were never properly cataloged. Our head of collections approached me today about a ledger book in German. The dates from the spring of 1945 and I am attaching as good a scan as I can currently obtain of a page. I will attempt to upload other pages but am happy to email members full scans.

We do not know the significance or provenance of the book . Because our scope of collecting is maritime history, I would assume this is a record of some type of civilian transport ship but that is purely a guess. There are no Kriegsmarine  stamps and the volume is a a simple printed ledger on poor wartime paper.

Any help would be appreciated and many, many thanks in advance.

Peter

IMG_20220509_103254972_PORTRAIT.jpg

Another image

IMG_20220509_103248644_PORTRAIT.jpg

Well from this angle, it is a little bit difficult to read, but as far as I can decipher it it reads as the following text:

Photo 1: To … Schmidt

We can’t come over anymore, Got your … information. Will send my soldier today to fetch the nautical year books. Question did you have a table for the tides … till Trontheim, if so please hand it over to the soldier as well.

Photo 2: (it deals with clothes for the crew?)

second outfitting from … Sub Marines, for each commander 25 pairs of trousers and greatcoats. I ask for confirmation from each steam boat to S. P.

to F.d.U (must be leader of the Submarines) we will send 0530 Submarine sick bay invalids for transport with (small??) stretcher: shall S. N. got an officer to accompany him?

sigantur Fleet …

To S.P: … no officer needed to accompany, Sick bay invalids will be fetched from there

As far, as I can make it, it is some kind of logbook from submariners stranded in NOrway shortly after the war. I hope it helps.

Thank you so much for this. Your translation opened the door to figuring it out. The book came from the aviso Grille, the Nazi state yacht,  where in 1951 it  was scrapped in Bordentown New Jersey, United States and its contents scattered among various collections.  Your translation triggered us to dig into it and we are now pretty convinced that it was from the Grille

Many thanks for your help!!!!