News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

QSA to Pte C. Nicholson S. Wales Bord

I just picked up a QSA numbered 6651 and named to Pte C. Nicholson S. Wales Border. It has three bars, Transvaal, Orange Free State and Capy Colony. I purchased it to go with a miniature with the same bars. I do not collect British medals and do not know anything about researching the names. I would post a photo but my skills are lacking. I did some reading about the South Wales Border unit. Is the possible to learn more about Private Nicholson? Thanks in advance.

Cannot find a "C" Nicholson but did find an "E" Nicholson with that regimental number......

Interesting he died of Alcoholism.......

Mike

Here is his Find My Past listing......

First name(s)  Edward
    Event unit  2 Battalion The South Wales Borderers
    Last name  Nicholson
    Event source  SAFF
    Service number  6651
    Country  Great Britain
    Rank  Private
    Literary references  Effects
    Regiment  2 Battalion The South Wales Borderers
    Notes  [Effects] [South African Field Force. JB Hayward & Sons] & [The National Archives WO100. The QSA and KSA campaign medal rolls.] Initial 'C' QSA Clasps: CC,OFS,T,SA01
    Rolls  WO100/181 page 296; WO100/181 page 378
    Record set  Anglo-Boer War Records 1899-1902
    Year  1899-1902
    Category  Military, armed forces & conflict
    Biography  -
    Subcategory  Boer Wars
    Memorials  Cathay Park. National Memorial, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, Wales; Cathedral. Chancel. Plaque. 2 bn South Wales Borderers, Brecon, Powys, Wales
    Collections from  Great Britain, UK None
    Event detail  Died Alcoholism on 04/10/1901 at Klerksdorp

After I did this post I did find the Anglo Boer War webpage and did find a C. Nicholson with the above information and service number. Interesting that he did have the KSA. It would be nice to find that. 

Mike what is the source of the above? Also the Note above is:

QSA Clasps: CC,OFS,T,SA01

What is SA01?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Mike what is the source of the above? Also the Note above is:

QSA Clasps: CC,OFS,T,SA01

What is SA01?

Thanks

This came from a site called Find My Past......    The SA01 stands for the bar South Africa 1901......  So therefore he is missing one bar on his medal......   This bar and the South Africa 1902 bar were often sent later after the man had returned home and had to be attached that is if he was entitled to the 1901 or the 1901/1902 pair.....  It seems that he did not have enough in country service (18 months) including both 1901 and 1902 to be awarded a King's South Africa Medal......  As you can see his name was actually Edward and for some reason the initial "C" was on the medal roll in error.....   Do not be concerned as this happened more often than you can imagine.....

Mike