News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Military service decoration 3rd class – opinions wanted

hoh1851

Hello,

I have this Austrian Hungarian Military service decoration 3rd class for officers in my collection. Unfortunately it is broken but nevertheless I would like kindly to ask for some opinions to this piece with regards to the authenticity.

I was surprised that the medaillon has no crown above the eagle’s head. What might be the reason?

Any advise would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance. If there are further pictures necessary please let me know.

Best regards

hoh1851

ÖDK3 - 1.JPG

ÖDK3 - 2.JPG

ÖDK3 - 3.JPG

ÖDK3 - 4.JPG

Hello, this doesn't look like any Imperial issue I've ever seen.  Of all the types I've seen, none had the eagle on a disk nor one without a crown.

Could be some sort theatrical do dad or something from the 1st Republic.  But, IMO, not Imperial.

Best,

Greg 

Hello,

this cross is a very fine piece and of fine manufacture, that sorry to say, suffered some major damage: the suspension broken away and so the Imperial crown on top of the double-eagle's head (of which, the pendalia are still present and well-visible, scrolling behind the two heads).

I would like to add, that the eagle always rests on a disc (usually, very well polished too).

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Edited by Elmar Lang

For anyone seriously interested In imperial Austrian-Hungarian decorations:

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=4715040&Language=de

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=47567520&Language=en

https://www.militaria.at/Book.aspx?book=3370752&Language=en

Not flawless but close enough, and in any event better than some of the publicly available sources.

And available in English for the price of only a few costly fakes .....

Kind regards, 

Sandro

I will of course defer to EL.  He is one of the most knowledgeable collectors on this forum with years of experience.  You can pretty much take whatever he says to the bank.

I'm still learning, it will take time. 

I've never however, have seen the eagle completely inside the disk as shown.  The ones I've seen have the feathers extended beyond the disk not inside of it.  I know there are dedication disks on the reverse on some I've seen.

Anyway, is this a variant or early piece?

Best,

Greg  

1 hour ago, gjw said:

I've never however, have seen the eagle completely inside the disk as shown.  The ones I've seen have the feathers extended beyond the disk not inside of it.  I know there are dedication disks on the reverse on some I've seen.

One of the tragedies of our time: the confusion of opinion with fact.

Which is why - next to handling good, accepted pieces with solid provenance - good references are a critical part of the hobby and a necessary investment - they show pages and pages of accepted contemporary variations, of Militärdienstzeichen for example, and even a few with eagles that fit within the center medallion of the cross ...

BTW, the eagles on the long service cross of the 1st republic are very different to those of the threat-starter (no golden Vließ Kollane, for starters, no scepter and Reichsapfel, no crowns or pendillen and the republic's shield in the center .....) (picture courtesy of Richard Dawkins)

Kind regards,

Sandro

IMG_5337.jpeg

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

P1840718I8w2y3rbZq9NC.jpg

1 hour ago, GdC26 said:

One of the tragedies of our time: the confusion of opinion with fact.

Which is why - next to handling good, accepted pieces with solid provenance - good references are a critical part of the hobby and a necessary investment - they show pages and pages of accepted contemporary variations, of Militärdienstzeichen for example, and even a few with eagles that fit within the center medallion of the cross ...

BTW, the eagles on the long service cross of the 1st republic are very different to those of the threat-starter (no golden Vließ Kollane, for starters, no scepter and Reichsapfel, no crowns or pendillen and the republic's shield in the center .....) (picture courtesy of Richard Dawkins)

Kind regards,

Sandro

IMG_5337.jpeg

IMG_5338.jpeg

IMG_5339.jpeg

P1840718I8w2y3rbZq9NC.jpg

Thanks for posting.  Very informative

Best 

Greg