News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Patriotic Women’s Association Badges

TracA

Greetings,

I have recently branched out into Patriotic Women’s Association badges and I’ll be posting a series of questions as well as pictures. My two main sources of information are Paul L. Murphy and Steven L. Ackley’s In the Name of a Living God. The non-government badges and medals of Imperial Japan, including Police, Fire Brigade, Red Cross, Veteran, and Patriotic Groups. San Ramon, CA: Falcon Books, 2005 and the Medals of Asia website (https://asiamedals.info/threads/history-and-badges-of-greater-japan-womens-patriotic-association.23765/).

My first offering is a Special Merit Badge, which I find to be a gorgeous piece of work. For now I have two questions:

(1) Medals of Asia has a picture of an original chart of badges (see link above) and mentions that there were both donation requirements and requirements regarding bringing in new members. The new member requirements are listed. Any idea what the donation requirements were for Special, 1st Class, 2nd Class, and 3rd Class Merit Badges?

(2) The cords: red group, white group, and purple group. Any idea what the awarding, if they were indeed awarded, of a cord denoted? Any idea if the color of the cord denoted something specific?

As always, thank you responders for sharing your knowledge.

Tracy

Obverse:

PWA Disting Serv Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse, and inscription to the best of my very, very limited ability: 愛国婦人會特別労功章,  Aikoku Fujinkai tokubetsu kōrō bajji, Women’s Patriotic Association Special Merit Badge:

PWA Disting Serv Badge Rev.jpg

Lacquered case with the reverse inscription in what I take to be stylized kanji:

PWA Disting Serv Badge Case Lid.jpg

Regarding donations - 1941 regulation operates with only two sums: 50 and 100 yens. I made some revisions to the text. Size of donations pre-1941  is not known to me (after 1941 all old types of special member badges were exchanged to the special merit badge that you have in your collection).

Regarding special merit badge https://asiamedals.info/threads/special-merit-badge-of-womens-patriotic-association.23783/

Regarding cords - as for today no official regulation was found.

Best,

Nick

Greetings,

Below is an example of the Special Contributory Member Badge. It too is a beautiful badge, with a wonderful yellow color enamel. 

I have a question about the design on the obverse of the pin back suspension bar: to me the symbols are not obviously chrysanthemums, paulownia flowers, or paulownia leaves. Is it just a decorative design or are there specific symbols depicted?

As always, thank you.

Tracy

Obverse:

PWA Spec Contrib Mem Badge Obv.jpg

The pin back suspension bar: is this just a decorative design or do these symbols depict something specific?

PWA Spec Contrib Mem Badge Suspen Bar Obv.jpg

Reverse. Given my very limited ability, I read the left column as 特別寄附会員, tokubetsu kifu-kin kai-in (Special Contributory Member) and the right column as 愛国婦人會, Aikoku Fujinkai (Women’s Patriotic Association):

PWA Spec Contrib Mem Badge Rev.jpg

Edited by TracA

On 09/12/2022 at 04:59, TracA said:

The pin back suspension bar: is this just a decorative design or do these symbols depict something specific?

Decorative design.

On 09/12/2022 at 04:59, TracA said:

I read the left column as 特別寄附会員, tokubetsu kifu-kin kai-in  Special Contributory Member

Correct variant 特別維持會員 Special Supporting/Supporter Member.

You will find all five known vitiations of this badge here https://asiamedals.info/threads/special-supporter-member-badge-of-womens-patriotic-association.25981/

Nick, I have a quick question. What do you mean by “stamp” on your website? Are you referring to subtle differences in the design on the obverse of the suspension pin back bar? I do note such differences, for example the orientation of the center bead inside the five beaded circle and the width between certain symbols.

Thanks.

Tracy

…and this is my final post, for now, on this topic as this is the last Patriotic Women’s Association badge currently in my possession.

The Ordinary Member Badge. A simple, silver colored badge. My example still retains most of the polished finish on the high points, which is nice. I have three questions:

• I have tried my best to identify and translate the kanji on the reverse of the suspension pin back bar. 掛ー襟半 ??? Something about hanging on a half collar or lapel???
    • I assume that the stamp on the inside of the box lid is from the workshop that manufactured the badge. Gyokuhō workshop, Tokyo?
    • Are there different variations of this badge, like there are for the Special Supporter Member badge?

Thank you to all responders.

Tracy

Obverse. Although it looks gilt, that is just poor lighting. It is indeed silver:

PWA Ordinary Mem Badge Obv.jpg

Kanji on the reverse of the suspension pin back bar. 掛ー襟半 ??? Something about hanging on a half collar or lapel???

PWA Ordinary Mem Badge Rev Pin Back Bar.jpg

Reverse. Again, per my very limited ability: right column 通常, tsūjō (ordinary), left column 会員, kai-in (member), and center column 愛国婦人會, Aikoku Fujinkai (Women’s Patriotic Association). Again, the photo makes the badge look gilt but it is actually silver.

PWA Ordinary Mem Badge Rev.jpg

Stamp on the inside of the box lid. Gyokuhō workshop, Tokyo?

PWA Ordinary Mem Badge Lid Stamp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I recently acquired this lovely Patriotic Women’s Association Third Class Merit Badge. I’m quite confident of the reading/translation of the kanji on the reverse of the badge and on the right column of the case lid, but I’m not so sure of the reading/translation of the center column of kanji on the case lid. Any and all corrections would be most welcome.

All the best,

Tracy

Obverse:

PWA 3rd Class Merit Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse inscription is, I believe, 愛国婦人會有功章, Aikoku Fujinkai Yūkō bajji (Women’s Patriotic Association Merit Badge):

PWA 3rd Class Merit Badge Rev557.jpg

Case lid with what I believe to be the following inscription: The right column is 愛国婦人會 for Aikoku Fujinkai (Women’s Patriotic Association) and the center column is 参等有功章 for san tōkyū no eiyo yūkō bajji (Third class merit badge; third grade of the third rank of honor merit badge). Corrections or suggestions?

PWA #rd Class Merit Badge Case Lid.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have another acquisition to add to this thread. It is another Ordinary/Regular Member Badge but this one has an attached cord and the instructional paper wrapper for affixing the cord. Two things to note:

• The cord appears orange in color and on p. 56 of In the Name of a Living God... by Murphy and Ackley they state that these badges are sometimes found with orange cords affixed to them. However, while I can find references to red, white, and purple cords (see https://asiamedals.info/threads/history-and-badges-of-greater-japan-womens-patriotic-association.23765/) I find no reference to orange cords. Is there an error in Murphy and  Ackley regarding the color of the cord? Do my eyes deceive me regarding the color?
    • The pin fastener on the reverse of the suspension bar is different from the other two Ordinary/Regular Member Badges that I own (one of which is posted above), and therefore so is the placement of the kanji on the reverse of the suspension bar. See below for the examples side-by-side (well, sort of).

Finally, I’m am quite sure that the kanji on the top of the instructional paper wrapper, 紅組弦, means “red cord/string group”. The kanji on the right, however, has me a bit stumped. I believe it is 糸ニテ括ル. I think that it means something about the length that the cord knot should be from where the cord is wrapped around the link from the suspension bar and the planchette, but I am just not sure. Any and all translation assistance is appreciated.

Thank you, as always.

Tracy

Obverse:

WPA Ord Mem Badge with Red Cord Obv.jpg

Reverse:

WPA Ord Mem Badge with Red Cord Rev.jpg

First type pin back (not a good photo) and then the pin back type with this badge:

985918347_PWAOrdinaryMemBadgeRevPinBackBar.jpg.5b025171f8aa5542cff1e06212ac1949.jpg.39157a7df3643f6eaef97242074af872.jpg

WPA Ord Mem Badge Rev Bar Close.jpg

Instructional paper wrapper: 紅組弦 “red cord/string group” and 糸ニテ括ル meaning ??

WPA Red Cord Instr Wrapper.jpg

Edited by TracA

Dear TracA,

Beautiful caligraphy :

image.jpeg.9eb02ead6262b5fd8739eb359b2d940a.jpeg

Actually it's "愛婦人會" not "婦人".

The same for those two orders :

Order of the Sacred Treasure : it's  "瑞章" not "瑞章" on cases / award documents / officially

Orders of the Precious Crown : it's "冠章" not "冠章" on cases / award documents / officially

Yours sincerely,

No one

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back to this thread after a while. 

Above I posted one of my Women’s Patriotic Association Special Supporter Member Badges (yellow enamel) and some subsequent research, courtesy of JapanX’s reply, led me to determine that it is an example of the 5th variation. Below is a picture of another WPA Special Supporter Member Badge that I just picked-up. Given the pin construction this is either the 1st or 4th variation, but the shape of the two central leaves at 6h determine that it is indeed an example of a 1st variation badge. 

See: Medals of Asia at https://asiamedals.info/threads/special-supporter-member-badge-of-womens-patriotic-association.25981/

Tracy

WPS Spec Sup Mem 1st Version Obv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I have a new addition to this topic: a Third Class Merit Badge with Attachment. This one is missing the red enameled star. I assume that it must have fallen off as the adhesive spot is clearly visible in the center of the depression where the star would normally be. 

This Merit Badge was awarded for recruiting more than fifty members and the attachment was added for recruiting more than 100 new members. See Medals of Asia at https://asiamedals.info/threads/history-and-badges-of-greater-japan-womens-patriotic-association.23765/.

Enjoy.

Tracy

Obverse with missing red enameled star:

WPA 3 Class Merit With Attach Obv.jpg

Reverse with inscription 愛國婦人會有功章 for Women’s Patriotic Association Merit Badge:

WPA 3 Class Merit With Attach Rev.jpg

The case lid has, as No One posted above, “beautiful calligraphy”. The right column reads 愛國婦人會 for Women’s Patriotic Association and the central column reads 参等有功章附加章 for Third Class Merit Badge With Attachment:

WPA 3 Class Merit With Attach Case Lid.jpg

I have recently obtained a WPA Special Member badge. Dimensions and construction are like the Regular Member badge except that the Special Member badge is in gilt. The example that I obtained has the Gyokuhō workshop stamp on the inside of the box lid. Some pictures below.

Enjoy.

Tracy

Obverse:

WPA Spec Mem Badge Obv.jpg

On the reverse the inscription on the badge is in three columns: center column is 愛國婦人會 for “Women’s Patriotic Association”; left column is 会員 for “member”; right column is 特別 for “special”. On the reverse of the suspension pin back is 掛ー襟半 for “hanging collar half” or “to wear badge on kimono half-collar.” (Thank you JapanX!).

WPA Spec Mem Badge Rev.jpg

Box lid with the following inscription: 特別 “special” across the top and 会員章 “member badge” down the center.

WPA Spec Mem Badge Box Lid.jpg

Gyokuhō workshop stamp on the inside lid of the box, 玉寶堂製 for “Gyokuhō made” and the horizontal column is 東京 for Tokyo.

WPA Spec Mem Badge Inside Lid Workshop Stamp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

A new entry for this topic. My Second Class Merit Badge with Attachment. The attachment was awarded for recruiting more than 200 new members.

The badge is 1.25 inches in diameter with a suspender bar of the same width. The attachment is in the form of a .375 inch diameter cherry blossom between the suspender bar and the badge. Gilt color with a red star. The box is wood, 2.75 inches wide x 4 inches long.

I hope that you enjoy.

Tracy

Obverse:

WPA 2nd Class Merit With Attach Obv.jpg

Reverse with a single, central column inscription 愛國婦人會有功章, Women’s Patriotic Association Merit Badge:

WPA 2nd Class Merit Wtih Attach Rev.jpg

Box lid with a two column inscription in gilt kanji. The right column reads 愛國婦人會, Women’s Patriotic Association and the central column reads 貮等有功章附加章, Second Class Merit Badge With Attachment:

WPA 2nd Class Merit Wtih Attach Box Lid.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I have a new addition to this topic. I just picked-up a Supporting Member Badge, unfortunately without the white matchbox style cardboard box (per Murphy and Ackley, p. 58). This badge is a stickpin. The obverse has some dark brown discoloration on the obverse from about 12h to 3h.

Enjoy.

Tracy

Obverse:

Supporting Members Badge Obv.jpg

Reverse: top character on the left column read before the bottom character on the right column for 愛國婦人會, Women’s Patriotic Association. The remaining three characters on the left column are 賛助員 for Supporter/Supporting Member.

Supporting Members Badge Rev.jpg

Edited by TracA