News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sake Cup Set with lacquered wood stand (paulownia crest)

kunsho

I don't think that was even shown in the Japan section. A complete saki set with paulonia crest. I stumbled across that a few years ago and although I haven't been collecting japan for a long time, I couldn't help myself in this case...

Regards
    Matthias

First the box:

P1011721.jpeg

...and now the rest....

P1011738.jpeg

...more...

P1011729.jpeg

...the cups...

P1011745.jpeg

...the paulonia crest in a closeup...

P1011746.jpeg

...only the stand...

P1011749.jpeg

...and some more stand - pics...

P1011753.jpeg

...and in "transport - form"...

P1011755.jpeg

Very nice pictures on your website!

I bought my set -to my own surprise- from a very small antiques dealer in my hometown...unusual. Many years ago, however, there was another antiques dealer in the city who specialized in Asian art, who eventually imported it - certainly without knowing what it really is...

The one box you show on your page is labeled "emperor's cup", the second is unlabeled. Is there a scheme? 

Second question: I have a dark blue ribbon medal in my collection but it is not engraved. What does that mean?

Thanks

Matthias

51 minutes ago, kunsho said:

The one box you show on your page is labeled "emperor's cup", the second is unlabeled. Is there a scheme? 

Formally all awards (including Medals of Honor) awarded by the Emperor of Japan. Somebody decided to inscribed case to indicate this.  

51 minutes ago, kunsho said:

Second question: I have a dark blue ribbon medal in my collection but it is not engraved. What does that mean?

Unlike all others Medals of Honor Dark Blue Ribbon was never engraved with a name of recipient. Only dates of previous awards could be engraved on its reverse when golden bar is issued https://asiamedals.info/threads/golden-and-silver-bars-of-medal-of-honor-additional-awards.24217/

Best,

Nick

Edited by JapanX