News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Egypt 1882 to an interpreter

I have just acquired another Egypt 1882 Medal without clasp officially named to:

Interpr. R. Conduris who replaced the suspension with a ring. Perhaps he used it as a watch fob. Nevertheless, it's a fine addition and here is what is known about the medal recipient. 

The ‘Register of civilians employed during the Egyptian campaign’ records a ‘Dem. Cunduris’ was engaged at Limassol on 22 August 1882 and spoke Greek, English and Italian. He was initially paid at a rate of 6 shillings and 6 pence a day (raised to 10 shillings from 2 September) – in comparison, a superintendent of transport was paid 5 shillings and a driver 2 shillings (register, WO 61/15, TNA). It is logical to assume that these two individuals are the same as there is no other ‘Cunduris’ or variant on the medal roll, and errors are known to have happened in the naming of many British medals. Later, a 'D. Conduris' applied for employment with the Government of Cyprus in 1884/5.

Any further information on Cunduris would be greatly appreciated.  Medals to interpreters are not often encountered and I have been fortunate to find three of them, which have been posted on this forum.

Conduris R image.jpeg

Conduris A.jpeg

Conduris B.jpeg

Edited by azyeoman