News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Friedrich Freiherr Kreß von Kressenstein

Saw this chap on ebay. It is clearly Freidrich Frhr. Kreß von Kressenstein purportedly taken in 1918 (Sevastopol annotated on the back of this card) but I have also seen reference to this being in Tbilisi. 

The problem is this; Baron Kreß was latterly a senior Reichsheer officer (General der Artillerie) but was not even promoted to Generalmajor until  28 September 1921, effective 1 July 1921. As there was no such thing as acting, temporary or local rank in the Bavarian army (nor any other contingent), I am somewhat surprised to see the Baron wearing a spiked leather helmet and general officers' collar patches in 1918! He was an Ottoman general officer but I cannot imagine this conferred the right to wear a Bavarian general officers' uniform. As the image been "altered" to add the general officers' collar patches or is their another explanation?

Regards

Glenn

Kre.thumb.JPG.da5b62b34d94a6ae920adf6e59289940.JPG

Edited by Glenn J

Hi Glenn, interesting puzzle.

Perhaps the quote below from https://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Personenregister/K/KressvKressensteinFriedrichFreiherr.htm offers a clue ?

"Im Sommer 1918 wurde ihm dann das Kommando einer deutschen Militärmission im Kaukasus übertragen. Dabei sollte er mit schwachen Verbänden die Unabhängigkeit von Georgien sichern und deren Aufbau einer eigenen Armee unterstützen, damit diese im Süden des ehemaligen russischen Reiches im deutschen Interesse aktiv werden konnte. Nach der Kapitulation von Deutschland musste er Georgien verlassen. Dabei kam er in englische Kriegsgefangenschaft. Im 1. Weltkrieg wurden ihm sehr viele weitere Orden verliehen. Nach seiner Entlassung kam er im Sommer 1919 wieder nach Deutschland. Er wurde dann als Oberst in das vorläufige Reichsheer übernommen, obwohl er eigentlich 1918 bereits zum Generalmajor befördert wurde. " (emphasis added)

Would make sense, if he was sent to Georgia with a more or less independent German detachment, as seems to have been the case. And he was clearly well connected in Bavarian military and court circles, as one of his relatives (uncle?) was Bavaria's defense minister up to 1916, and Friedrich was apparently awarded the commanders cross of the MMJO in April 1917 as a mere Oberstleutnant.

So a typical case of Bavarian love/Prussian dislike?

1918 would fit the awards worn in the picture (the MMJO commanders cross awarded in April 1917 and hte PLM awarded in December 1917 were both visible) and it Pickehaube's were commonly worn by general officers until the end of the war, especially during formal occasions as may have been the case here both Kreß and (the officer to his right wear full medal bars, which suggests they may have been attending a parade or suchlike).

Kind regards,

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

Hi Sandro,

many thanks for your detailed response and I think I can now confirm your assumptions although strangely I cannot find the official announcement of his temporary promotion in the Bavarian "Personal-Nachrichten"

This from his entry in "Die Generale des Heeres 1921-1945":

29 May 18: German representative with the government of the Transcaucasian Republic in Tiflis and for the duration of this employment appointed Generalmajor ohne Patent.

However, his entry in the Personal-Nachrichten publishing his award of the Commander's cross of the MMJO dated 5 July 1918 gives his rank as Generalmajor.

I have never before encountered the granting of acting/temporary rank to a German officer of this period!

Kind regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J