News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchukuo (滿州國) : "National Border Incident War Medal / 國境事變從軍記章"

No one

Greetings No One,

Beautiful example. This is one of my favorite medals. I love the ribbon color and the design. I like the color of the presentation box as well. I find the choice of a dove, the symbol of peace, to be quite optimistic. 

Question: do the four central kanji on the paper wrapper translate to “service badge”?

The definitive history of this apparently little known battle with direct consequences for the course of WWII is probably Nomonhan: Japan Against Russia, 1939 by Alvin D. Coox. I have the single volume paperback edition. It is a massive tome. The text is printed in about 8 or 9 point font and the work is 1,132 pages including chapter endnotes, which are printed in about 4 point font. The work also includes a 57 page bibliography. About 20 or so years ago I tried to finish the book but only made it to p. 671. It was a very tough slog. 

Your example looks like the “fat dove” variety. You can see my example, which I believe to be the “thin dove” variety, on this thread:

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/79450-is-there-a-standard-group-for-ww2/#comment-717257

All the best,

Tracy

Dear TracA,

"Question: do the four central kanji on the paper wrapper translate to “service badge”?"

Yes, "jugun kisho or war medal" the same as on the bar.

"There are two different varieties of this medal, with notable differences being the size of the dove, the size of the orchid crest, and some slight differences in details of the globe."

You can compare both side by side:

image.jpeg.960823c573bb4d8ece2b6ad80e8826f6.jpeg

It's a nice medal indeed.

Mr Colvin's acknowledgements :

image.jpeg.47d62e35cad1d517776bbfb756f36204.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

No One,

Thank you for the answer to my kanji question, and for posting the two varieties side-by-side. Always useful for comparison purposes. Ah yes, even others who have written about Nomonhan acknowledge their indebtedness to Mr. Coox.

All the best,

Tracy

• 1 month later...

I just picked-up this book, written before Coox's monumental work. Not a historical, grand overview. Apparently a detailed focus on the IJA's 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division.

20230317_194628.jpg

• 1 month later...