News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IS THERE A STANDARD GROUP FOR WW2?

numis

I have none  so far but am interested in acquiring Mongolian awards for WW2 and the pre-war clashes with Japan

I see various single awards on the market but wish to consider whether there is any standard group of awards to one recipient that one should look out for 

(eg including contemporary plus the later anniversary awards ) 

Besides the Mongolian " We have won " medal , did Mongolians also receive the Russian War against Japan Medal ?

Can anyone advise ?

• 3 weeks later...
    On 09/02/2022 at 12:41, numis said:

Besides the Mongolian " We have won " medal , did Mongolians also receive the Russian War against Japan Medal ?

Of course they were awarded with the Soviet medal "For the Victory over Japan".

On 09/02/2022 at 12:41, numis said:

I see various single awards on the market but wish to consider whether there is any standard group of awards to one recipient that one should look out for 

(eg including contemporary plus the later anniversary awards ) 

These photos should help.

Shortly after the war.

scale_1200.webp.1959598fd51d0a148d4e8f0422c21155.webp

814691_original.jpg.e91194a52d4ecccb83a1b6c5a76f48e5.jpg

675207_original.jpg.36285fe12fbcf58b5dbe1205b2f0a610.jpg

1970s.

fotografiya_mongolyskiy_veteran-94-36320828.thumb.jpg.689c86553c0f6b0dfabec30313d38acc.jpg

Present days.

IMG_0878.jpg.8870c2714fb5d281104fe4b7bdfc3eb9.jpg

scale_1200.webp.4de07c18d48f7549027f716f7296e46a.webp

Edited by JapanX

• 9 months later...

I believe that, for Mongolia, the major WW2 campaign was that of the Khalkh River (Khalkhin Gol) in May-August 1939  when a combined USSR-Mongolia force stopped the northern advance of the Japanese 6th Army.  In addition to the initial Medal issued in 1940 (Battushig A39), the People's Khural (legislative body) authorized/issued commemorative medals (and ribbons) for the 30th Anniversary (Battushig A45), 40th Anniversary (Battushig A51), 50th Anniversary (Battushig A58; no ribbon), 70th Anniversary (2009, no ribbon) and 80th Anniversary (2019, no ribbon). There was no commemorative issued for the 60th (1999), perhaps due to political tensions and instability within the government/Khural at the time.  

The Mongolian Ministry of Defense also issued (Army) Badges for Khalkhin Gol (Battushig C24), Victory of Khalkhin Gol (Battushig C25) and the 20th (Battushig A60), 40th (Battushig C26), 50th Anniversary (Battushig C23) and 65th (Battushig C27) anniversaries. 

I am not familiar with any USSR medals issued for Khalkh River, but in 2019, Russia (a private mint, I believe) issued a commemorative medal for the campaign -- and (Russia) President Putin joined (Mongolia) President Battulga at a special ceremony on the battle site in Eastern Mongolia. 

Interestingly, Japan (and Manchukuo) issued a "Border Incident" Medal as well -- for the decisive battle near Nomenhan village on the border between Mongolia and Manchuria (now China).  

I apologize if this is "old" information, but I find it fascinating and have made a point of collecting them all, together with recipients' documentation.   

Medal of 70th anniversary of Victory at Khalkhin Gol Battle.jpg

Medal of 80th anniversary of Victory at Khalkhin Gol Battle.jpg

Greetings,

Since the Manchukuo Border Incident Medal was mentioned, I figured that I would post it.

Although this is a Manchukuo medal, during the time of issue Manchukuo was a puppet state of Japan. The Medal was established in 1940 and is the only Manchukuo medal with the bar suspension typical of Japanese medals (Catalano, The Imperial Ordinances for War and Commemorative Medals of Japan and Manchukuo, 4th ed. 2012). There are two different varieties of this medal, with notable differences being the size of the dove, the size of the orchid crest, and some slight differences in details of the globe.

Obverse, with the inscription “War Medal” on the bar:

Nomonhan Medal Obv.jpg

Reverse, with the inscription “National Border Incident”:

Nomonhan Medal Rev.jpg

The red pasteboard case. My example has a label bearing a handwritten notation in kanji, which, per the seller, reads “Matsusaka City, Superior Private Fukada”:

Nomonhan Medal Case Lid.jpg

Edited by TracA