News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents,

recently I found resources for the Lippe and Schaumburg-Lippe militairy in the 19th century. I did not yet find such a source for the militairy of Waldeck&Pyrmont. I know it probably wasn't much, but I would really like to know if you can tell me about a book or article you know of...

Thanks

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hello David,

an important source is the Regimental History.

There was a Waldeck Fusilier Battalion up to 1862; after that date it went under Prussian control.

In 1867 the Battalion was disbanded and 16 officers and 182 men joined the 83rd Prussian Infantery Regiment. These troops formed the 3rd Battalion of the Regiment, which garrison was Waldeck`s capital - Arolsen.

The new name of the Regiment was "Infanterie-Regiment von Wittich (3. Kurhessisches) Nr. 83".

Prince Friedrich of Waldeck was the chief of it from 1913.

The Regiment formed part of the 22nd Prussian Division in the war of 1870-71 and even in WW-1.

Some sources:

Dr. August R?per:

"Geschichte des IR von Wittich (3. Kurhessisches) Nr. 83 von 1866 bis 1913"

Berlin, 1913

Hauptmann a.D. Wahrenburg:

"Reserveinfanterieregiment Nr. 83"

Oldenburg, 1924

Oberstleutnant a.D. Clausius:

"Infanteriergeiment Nr. 83 im Krieg 1914-1918"

Oldenburg, 1926

Freiherr Dalwigk zu Lichtenfels:

"Geschichte der waldeckischen und kurhessischen Stammtruppen des IR 83 von Wittich (3. Kurhessisches) Nr. 83 von 1681-1866"

Oldenburg, 1909

For the ODM the best source is the above mentioned book by Gert Elfer !!

The Regimental Histories are hard to find. I am also looking for these, but nothing up to now :(

For some pictures of ODM please try this thread:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5156&hl=waldeck

Greetings

eitze

Well that's very intersteing Eitze, I would be especially interested in the 1909 volume by Dalwigk-Lichtenfels. Best chance there is some on the 1831 Waldeck officers in there right!

Thanks again!!

David